Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We jointly own (not "co-own") a property, thus are each liable for the full amount of the loan. How do I answer "your share of the outstanding mortgage principal"?

We split the mortgage interest deduction 50-50.  That is not the question.  Given joint ownership, is my share of the outstanding mortgage principal all or half?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

We jointly own (not "co-own") a property, thus are each liable for the full amount of the loan. How do I answer "your share of the outstanding mortgage principal"?

Your share of the outstanding mortgage principal would only be 1/2 and that is what you should report when asked (since you are still considered, as of now, to be responsible for 50% and are only deducting 50% of the interest).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeeM

Your share of the outstanding mortgage principal would only be 1/2 and that is what you should report when asked (since you are still considered, as of now, to be responsible for 50% and are only deducting 50% of the interest).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies