turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dbarker

I had $2400 withheld for dependent care benefits box 10 w2 I did not use any of it trying to complete the fed review and it wants a name of provider and state but we did

not have daycare this year for our child. It even prompts us to provide the info even after we are asked if we had dependent care expenses in 2016. We don't need to fill out the form. How do I get around this
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
RyanH2

I had $2400 withheld for dependent care benefits box 10 w2 I did not use any of it trying to complete the fed review and it wants a name of provider and state but we did

If you had an amount in box 10 of your W-2 you do need to file this form, that is probably where you are confused. The system keeps generating Form 2441 because if you have an amount in box 10 of your W-2 you must file Form 2441 to show those benefits, even if you didn't use them.

For more info on why you must file Form 2441 if there is an amount in box 10 of your W-2 visit this link:

Filing Form 2441 to Report Dependent FSA

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301418

dbarker

We did not need child care in '16 as planned and did not use the $2400. I suppose I can submit my return even if I enter "0" on the form 2441. I should not have to enter an amount paid to a provider if I did not use a provider. I'll just get taxed on the $2400 but that is not an issue.
RyanH2

You only have to fill out part 3 of Form 2441. Also, you are reporting the FSA itself as it is pre-tax, so regardless if you didn't use it then yes you must pay taxes on it. Leave all the boxes blank rather than entering a 0. The first two sections won't apply, so again just leave it blank and hit continue until you get to the third section.
RyanH2

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies