turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Was married in 2020 spouse does not have ssc/itin yet turbo tax says i am entitled to 1800 credit is this correct? or is turbo tax incorrect?

was married in 2020 to my spouse that has a k1 visa,  question on stimulus on turbo tax ask what i received i type 1200 first /600 second payment .  it then says i have a 1800 credit.  is this correct even though my spouse does not have ssc/itin and is just now filing w7 with my taxes  or is turbo tax incorrect   thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Was married in 2020 spouse does not have ssc/itin yet turbo tax says i am entitled to 1800 credit is this correct? or is turbo tax incorrect?

Under the initial rule, when the first stimulus payment was issued, if one spouse in a married filing jointly tax return does not have a Social Security number, neither spouse can receive the stimulus payment.

Under the rules of the second stimulus payment, if one spouse does not have a Social Security number, the spouse with a Social Security number and the qualifying children with a Social Security number will receive the stimulus check.

The COVID-19 Relief Package retroactively changed the rule for the first stimulus payment to be the same as the rule for the second stimulus payment.

However, no first stimulus payment will be issued.  The payment is issued on your 2020 tax return as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC).  You can access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries. 

Examples

Former first stimulus check rules:

John and Mary are married and filed their taxes jointly. Mary has an SSN and John does not. John and Mary are ineligible for the first stimulus check and miss out on $2,400.

Second stimulus check rules:

John and Mary are married and filed their taxes jointly. Mary has an SSN and John does not. Mary is eligible for a second stimulus check of $600 even though John is ineligible. Since the SSN rule change is retroactive, Mary can also get the first stimulus check of $1,200 as the Recovery Rebate Credit when she and John file their 2020 tax return.

See also here and here.

Your spouse will have to obtain an ITIN.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

this is the example from below :: 

John and Mary are married and filed their taxes jointly. Mary has an SSN and John does not. Mary is eligible for a second stimulus check of $600 even though John is ineligible. Since the SSN rule change is retroactive, Mary can also get the first stimulus check of $1,200 as the Recovery Rebate Credit when she and John file their 2020 tax return.

the problem is I already received my first and second  stimulus money the 1200$ and the 600$  and my spouse did not because she has no ssc / itin and we were married in 2020      now on turbo tax it is saying i have another 1800$ 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Did you enter a dummy Social Security number for your spouse? Or leave it blank? If you did, TurboTax may be assuming you entered—or will enter—a valid Social Security number. If your spouse is a nonresident alien, he or she must have either an SSN or an ITIN if:

• You file a joint return, or

• Your spouse is filing a separate return

You will not be able to e-file your return without a Social Security number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies