Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Warning: TurboTax prefills wrong numbers

For example, in form 1116, TurboTax incorrectly prefilled foreign gross income boxes with foreign tax credit values, causing me to overpay the federal amount owed by hundreds of dollars. While doing the original return, there was no notice that this error may occur.

I've just e-filed an amended federal return. With this and the infamous Schwab import issue which still hasn't been fixed, I doubt I'll use TurboTax next year.

To Intuit: for something as important as taxes, please don't skimp on the quality of your software developers/development.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Indeed. I mentioned both the preceding issues in my review of TurboTax:

Title: TurboTax is unfit for purpose for tax year 2021

"I encountered the following three critical issues this year:

1. In form 1116, TurboTax incorrectly pre-filled the foreign gross income boxes with foreign tax credit, resulting in me overpaying the federal amount owed by hundreds of dollars. I needed to send an amended return. This loss of time, money and energy is the fault of TurboTax.

2. TurboTax continuously showed the error "Login is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later or call customer support" after logging into Schwab successfully within TurboTax and accepting the agreement. This prevented import and necessitated manual input which for some users may mean inputting a significant number of entries. This is a universal bug that has still not been fixed.

3. Following issue 2 above, the Cancel button on the Schwab login screen was inaccessible on my 1366x768 monitor despite the minimum resolution recommendation being 1024x768. I tried various things to access the button to no avail, and eventually had to force quit the app. TurboTax did not attempt to recover an autosave that was available at Library > Autosave Information, potentially causing me to lose hours of work.

It is completely surprising, unacceptable and ridiculous that issues like the above exist. With something as important as taxes, Intuit should not skimp on the quality of its software developers/development. At this rate I will almost certainly not be using TurboTax next year."

Edit:

Oh, and there's also this: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/turbotax-didn-t-account-for-money-alread...

Tsk tsk.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I posted that in an instant I did manage to download the schwab info.

For no good reason....

This software has to be bullet proof.  Until this year, I have had no difficulty.

I fear making a change will have even worse potential problems. l  hope they

can fix the problems.   BH Loveland CO

Indeed. I mentioned both the preceding issues in my review of TurboTax:

Title: TurboTax is unfit for purpose for tax year 2021

"I encountered the following three critical issues this year:

1. In form 1116, TurboTax incorrectly pre-filled the foreign gross income boxes with foreign tax credit, resulting in me overpaying the federal amount owed by hundreds of dollars. I needed to send an amended return. This loss of time, money and energy is the fault of TurboTax.

2. TurboTax continuously showed the error "Login is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later or call customer support" after logging into Schwab successfully within TurboTax and accepting the agreement. This prevented import and necessitated manual input which for some users may mean inputting a significant number of entries. This is a universal bug that has still not been fixed.

3. Following issue 2 above, the Cancel button on the Schwab login screen was inaccessible on my 1366x768 monitor despite the minimum resolution recommendation being 1024x768. I tried various things to access the button to no avail, and eventually had to force quit the app. TurboTax did not attempt to recover an autosave that was available at Library > Autosave Information, potentially causing me to lose hours of work.

It is completely surprising, unacceptable and ridiculous that issues like the above exist. With something as important as taxes, Intuit should not skimp on the quality of its software developers/development. At this rate I will almost certainly not be using TurboTax next year."

Edit:

Oh, and there's also this: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/turbotax-didn-t-account-for-money-alread...

Tsk tsk.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies