Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member



I am interested in paying more on each paycheck and receiving a larger refund when I filke my taxes. What is the best way to achieve this result? For your information, I have two children and I file jointly with my wife. 


Whay additional information do you need? 



Greg Reynolds 

1 Reply
Employee Tax & Finance Expert


Hi gregnellen,


There are a couple of ways to address this issue. 

#1- You can update your W-4 and add additional withholding on line 4(c) of the FormW-4. You must contact the Human Resources/Payroll Department of your employer. Here is a link that has a withholding calculator and a downloadable W-4 with instructions. Also, this information may be helpful Tips for Updating Form W-4 After Doing a Paycheck Checkup.

#2- Leave your withholding alone and pay estimated tax payments on the next two estimated tax deadlines 9/15/22 & 1/15/23. Here is a helpful article about Estimated Tax Payments. To create an account to pay the estimated tax go to


If you need help estimating what your tax liability for 2022 may be, use TurboTax's Taxcaster! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies