Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W4 for Remote Status while living in CT and working for MA based company

I live in CT and my employer based out of MA changed my status to Remote in April 2023. I have been filing both CT and MA taxes for all previous years. My employer wants to know if they should only withhold taxes for CT going forward since my status has changed to Remote. I will still be visiting the MA office for meetings once a month or quarter while living and working remotely in CT. This company does not have any physical office in MA.

1. Should I have taxes withheld for both MA and CT for the remainder of 2023, and then switch to CT only, starting 2024? I am not sure if I should change my withholdings in the middle of 2023 as it will complicate my tax returns filing?

2. Is there anything wrong if I keep paying both MA and CT taxes while living and working remotely in CT and going to MA office once a month or quarter?

2. If I have my taxes withheld in CT only, is it Ok to attend monthly or quarterly meetings in MA while working remotely in CT?

3. I am also concerned about the impact this will have on my MA PFMLA if I need to take it in the near future.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
awatkins2
Expert Alumni

Thank you so much for posting this question, I know filing in two different states can be annoying.

1. If you work remotely from CT then you should be only withholding for CT.

2. It will not complicate you taxes anymore than usual so it is ok to do that now.

3.  It is completely ok to drive into MA for a meeting there is no need to change your withholding for a few meetings per year.

4. MA PFMLA is only available to you if your company continues to pay into it.  MA PFMLA is different than withholding state taxes.

Thanks for your response.

One correction, my company has physical offices in MA, but not in CT.

Is it Ok for the company to go back and make the changes for entire 2023, or should they do it from April 2023 onward? (I have been working remotely all of 2023 and was in the MA office a few times for meetings).

My company pays for my MA PFMLA, and if I withhold for CT only, then should I also ask them to pay for CT PFMLA instead of MA, or can I avail MA PFMLA while living and working remotely from CT?

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies