Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dcschweit92
Returning Member

W2 box 12, DD code causes excess retirement contribution warning

After importing my W2 (which includes box 12a codes C,D,W,AA,DD) Tubrotax notifies me on later screens that I've contributed too much to my retirement accounts. I'm not able to determine what amounts are being summed to come to that conclusion.  I believe code DD (Cost of employer-sponsored health coverage) should not be included in the calculation. Can someone confirm?  

When I remove the box 12a line containing code DD from my W2 TubroTax does not seem to update and continues to report the same retirement overage amount. 

If I delete my W2, reimport my W2, and delete the DD entry in box 12a before exiting the W2 import screen it appears that the retirement overage message no longer appears.

I would like to confirm that it is correct (OK) to delete the box 12a DD entry  AND also confirm if TurboTax should be excluding this code entry when determining  the total retirement contribution amount. 

Or should I ignore the overage warning message and leave the DD code amount on my W2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Yes, Box 12 amounts with the code DD are what you and your employer paid for your employer-sponsored health coverage plan. Code DD amounts are for informational purposes only and they don't affect the numbers in your tax return.

You should enter all of the information on your Form W-2 into TurboTax, exactly how it is shown, and follow all of the prompts to ensure accurate calculations and that all of the deductions and credits you may be eligible for are applied.  You should not be altering your W-2 entries.

If you believe there is an error on your form W-2, you should contact your employer.

Please click here for additional information on code "DD" in Box 12 of Form W-2.

Click here for a description of codes in Box 12 of Form W-2.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dcschweit92
Returning Member

This issue is now understood and was an entry error on my part. This Subject post could be deleted as not relevant or helpful to a real issue. The error resulted from a 2nd W-2 (my wife's) being imported but incorrectly being assigned to me (i.e. This W-2 belongs to ....). This caused TubroTax to add her retirement deferral to mine and that sum exceeded the limit . Correcting the W-2 assignment corrected the overage warning message.  User error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies