Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dana0607
Returning Member

W-7 and Visa vs. legal statsus

Hello, I need to file W7 for my kids as dependents for my husband. our visa in the passport is O3, however, our legal status changed to H4. Should we mention the visa in passport? should we wait to file taxes until we change our visa to match the status?
what happens if my husband changes visa in passport before me and the kids (he has business trip)?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

On the Form W-7Question 6c you are required to enter the child's visa type, its number and expiration date. If the children are being issued new visas you need to wait until they receive the visas so you can enter the new visa information. The visa status of the parents is not entered on the form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

On the Form W-7Question 6c you are required to enter the child's visa type, its number and expiration date. If the children are being issued new visas you need to wait until they receive the visas so you can enter the new visa information. The visa status of the parents is not entered on the form.

dana0607
Returning Member

Thank you!

The children will be issued new visas only when they travel abroad.  We do plan to do so in April. So its best to wait? They have a visa in passport but it is diferent status then what was approved for us recently (we have uscis approval but visa is only issued from us embassy  abroad)

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

You are welcome.

Yes, you should wait until you receive the new visa's.

If you do not receive the visa's by April 15th you can file for an extension of 6 months to file your return. The extension form, Form 4868, will not be ready in Turbotax until later this tax season.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies