Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djp3

Very large foreign crypto transactions with incorrect records

Hello there,

I did heavy crypto trading in 2021. In previous years I have used various online calculators to generate my 8949 forms for me (cryptotrader.tax, koinly, coinpanda) However this year I began trading on a non US exchange, and using some of their crypto derivative and margin products. 

After taking all my funds out of kucoin I am net negative roughly $3000 for the year, but none of the tax calculators are giving me the correct capital losses (not even close). While Koinly supports kucoin as they shows my net gains for 2021 at nearly $237,000. I am sure this is due to issues with margin calculations. 

To compound this, the total number of transactions is near 20,000 making it nearly impossible to sort through and determine what is going wrong. Additionally since this is a foreign exchange, they do not issue any of the standard forms you might get summarizing your losses and gains.

I am at a loss of how to handle this situation.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How much did you actually gain/lose on crypto?

Assuming all Short Term, this is what you report on Form 8949 Line 2 with Box C checked which copies to Schedule D Line 3.

In 8949 Line 1 you can do a one-line aggregation with "<name of broker>" for description, and dates of 1/1/2021 - 12/31/2021 or Various - 12/31/2021.

You may want to ignore the transaction detail reporting requirement and see if IRS asks for it later.

You can deal with that at that time.

Given the backlog at IRS they probably won't ask for it.

@djp3 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies