Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

using Turbo Tax in another country

I purchased Turbo Tax 2021 from Amazon and successfully downloaded it to my computer.  It can be used on 4 computers.  One of the computers is my son's and he is currently in Australia.  He needs to do his taxes before October 1.  However, when he tries to download Turbo Tax to his computer, he receives a message saying that it is available only to customers located in the United States.  How is someone who is currently out of the US supposed to use Turbo Tax if it can't be downloaded?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you bought it from Amazon, it could be an Amazon restriction. You might want to contact TurboTax Support.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you bought it from Amazon, it could be an Amazon restriction. You might want to contact TurboTax Support.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

I should note that the Turbotax license allows you to install the program on up to 5 programs that you own, but you are not allowed to transfer it to someone else.  You could prepare your son's return on your computer, but you are technically not allowed to give a copy to your son to install on his computer.  I don't know if customer service will overlook that or not.  

Also, in the past, Turbotax was not licensed for overseas use.  I checked the current license and I did not see a specific ban on overseas use, so I can't tell if it is a general program restriction or a restriction on the Amazon US copy.

I can suggest that your son can try to prepare his return online using Turbotax Deluxe Online, and then instead of paying the fee and filing, he can download the data file and send it to you for final e-filing.  That may work.

@ Opus 17 wrote:

I can suggest that your son can try to prepare his return online using Turbotax Deluxe Online, and then instead of paying the fee and filing, he can download the data file and send it to you for final e-filing.  That may work.

I personally wouldn't email a tax data file or return PDF; it's too risky.  Emailing such sensitive files in normal unsecured email is a risky maneuver, especially if not password-protected.  Such files contain a treasure trove of personal ID info and frequently even includes bank account numbers.   And doing so from outside the country adds even more uncertainty.   

If the son wishes to prepare his return overseas in Online TurboTax, he can also efile it himself.   There are many overseas users of Online TurboTax.   He would have to pay for it, however.   And the fee payment requires a US credit/debit card with a US billing address.    The IRS requires a US bank account to receive a direct deposit of a refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies