Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tk01kj
Returning Member

URGENT 2022 tax deduction for not paid yet

I, being unemployed, made $4250 off net long term capital gains, $4000 in unemployment benefits, $1000 in dividends/savings interest, $19500 in rental income, but reimbursement totaling $2000 that apparently will be reported on W2 grossed up for taxes have not been paid yet, and my domestic partner has made $42k in W2 wages. We file taxes separately. I'm hoping that neither of us will have to pay significant if any taxes.

1) If I end up being paid in Dec 2022 but the employer/unemployment benefits agency decides to file the W2/1099 for 2023 tax year in 2024, can I still report the W2/UI benefits in 2022 since my income in 2022 is so low? Note these are not overlapping, the unemployment happened after I received the reimbursement on W2

2) Can my domestic partner still contribute to traditional IRA by 2023 April to decrease taxable income by $6000? Can she also contribute to a solo 401k? What about taking the stock loss deduction up to $3000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

tk01kj
Returning Member

Should I contact Critter-3?

Hal_Al
Level 15

No, Critter-3 has been "paged" to look at your question.

If you end up being paid in Dec 2022, it's highly unlikely that the employer will file the W2 for 2023 tax year.  Same for the UI 1099-G. 

The  stock loss deduction, up to $3000, is automatic in TurboTax (TT) and must be claimed on your 2022 tax return. It is not optional.  But, if it is not needed, TT will automatically carry the excess to 2023.  Based on the numbers you provided, that is unlikely (depending on your rental deductions). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies