Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Update Problem

I've been trying to update Turbo Tax for 3 days with no luck.  My last try, a few minutes ago, was manual and that didn't work either.  I can't file if it won't update & do not want to print & mail especially since i already paid to file my state return.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Update Problem

I assume you have a download/desktop version. What solved the problem for me was to uninstall and reinstall the program. My data was intact after the reinstall. 

View solution in original post

35 Replies

Update Problem

I assume you have a download/desktop version. What solved the problem for me was to uninstall and reinstall the program. My data was intact after the reinstall. 

Update Problem

Thanks!  I'll try that in the morning.  I was afraid I'd loose everything.  Glad to hear I won't 

Update Problem

Shortly after turning my laptop on this morning, I tried to uninstall and got the same message! 

Deciding to confirm it isn't an equipment problem, I uninstalled another program with no difficulty.  Now what?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Update Problem

Please see the below TurboTax help article to assist with your updating issue. 

Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows updating issues

If you continue to have issues please reach out to a TurboTax representative for assistance. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Update Problem

Thanks!

I unltimately had to contact Customer Service.  45 minutes with a very patient rep & I'm all set.  software updated and 2021 taxes are filed!

Update Problem

So glad your problem was solved. Would you share the solution so that we might help others with the same issue?

Update Problem

These are the steps we went through.   They didn't work until I suggested that, perhaps, I should re-boot.  Once that was done, the program updated and all was well.

I suggest a re-boot be done after each step since I really don't know which one may have resolved the problem.

Solution

1. Right-click your taskbar and select Task manager.
  2. Look for Intuit update service in the process tab and end process.
  3. Look for MSIexec.exe in the Details tab and end process.
  4. Install/update Turbotax again.

If that didn't work, try one of these options:

Run the Windows System File Checker, then try installing/updating again.

Re-register Windows Installer:

1. Select Start Run.
  2. Type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER and select OK (it'll look like nothing happened).
  3. Repeat step 1 and type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER.
  4. Install/update TurboTax again.

Start the Windows Installer Service:

1. Select Start, type Services.msc in the search box and press the Enter key.
  2. Scroll down and open Windows Installer.
  3. Select Manual as the Startup type.
  4. Select Start and then OK.
  5. Install/update TurboTax again.
  6. Right-click your taskbar and select Task manager.
  7. Look for Intuit update service in the process tab and end process.
  8. Look for MSIexec.exe in the Details tab and end process.
  9. Install/update Turbotax again.
Creeka

Update Problem

Same problem here. Been working on it for over 3 hours, 2 hours  with a Turbo Tax Rep. Same old BS. If they can't support their product any better than this, I may have to move on to another company. I have had Turbo Tax for more than 15 years and they are about to lose me.

Creeka

Update Problem

What did they have you do? The rep I worked with tried everything and nothing worked

Update Problem

This is what I did.  After doing the first set of instructions, re-boot.  If that doesn't work, then go on to the second.   Good Luck!

Solution

1. Right-click your taskbar and select Task manager.
  2. Look for Intuit update service in the process tab and end process.
  3. Look for MSIexec.exe in the Details tab and end process.
  4. Install/update Turbotax again.

If that didn't work, try one of these options:

Run the Windows System File Checker, then try installing/updating again.

Re-register Windows Installer:

1. Select Start Run.
  2. Type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER and select OK (it'll look like nothing happened).
  3. Repeat step 1 and type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER.
  4. Install/update TurboTax again.

Start the Windows Installer Service:

1. Select Start, type Services.msc in the search box and press the Enter key.
  2. Scroll down and open Windows Installer.
  3. Select Manual as the Startup type.
  4. Select Start and then OK.
  5. Install/update TurboTax again.

Update Problem

Windows 10 Pro, TurboTax 2021 Premier. No problem with any other program  updates. No option to bypass updates so can't even open TurboTax.  Got the CD but installed it from your website instead and was able to open and update until today (03/20/22).

Started  TurboTax 2021. Got  screen which said install  latest updates.  Said  Yes to  Windows 10  screen  to allow changes. 

Got screen  to install  program updates  est 5  min..  Waited  but  install does not start,  eventually get  error  "Failed to  install update  Microsoft  installer  error  1603.  Fatal error during installation:." 

Updated Windows 10 Pro with optional update to 20H2 Build 19042.685 Same result.

This is your problem, not a Windows installer problem.

SOLUTION:  YOU HAVE TO REINSTALL THE PROGRAM, WHICH MEANS YOU HAVE TO FIRST UNINSTALL, THEN REINSTALL.  YOUR TAX WORK TO DATE WILL BE SAVED AND PICKED UP UPON THE REINSTALL.

NOEMI FROM TURBO TAX SUPPORT WAS VERY HELPFUL IN WALKING ME THROUGH THIS EFFORT.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Update Problem

Thank you for providing the updated solution that got it to work. This will help the community. @bootsmillergolfer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DaveD66

Update Problem

I had the same problem. So frustrating! I finally uninstalled and reinstalled Turbotax per your suggestion and everything works now. I disabled my antivirus first but not sure if I had to. Thank you bootsmillergolfer.

DWassmer

Update Problem

I had the same problem with Windows 11 64 bit OS. Resolved by downloading and installing 2022-03 cumulative update for Windows 11. After the windows update download and installed (took approx 10 minutes), I opened TurboTax Premier which immediately went to the update option and processed cleanly when selected. Good luck. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies