turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sdandrade

My father is 87 years old and has an annual income under 30k. Does he need to continue filing, or submit any forms to discontinue filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My father is 87 years old and has an annual income under 30k. Does he need to continue filing, or submit any forms to discontinue filing?

Unfortunately, your father will most likely need to continue to file tax returns. The only exception would be if his income was solely from Social Security.  There is no age limit for the filing of taxes.

That said, even if though he meets the filing requirement, he may not owe taxes.  He still needs to file the return, as failing to do so will generate a letter from the IRS.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unfortunately, your father will most likely need to continue to file tax returns. The only exception would be if his income was solely from Social Security.  There is no age limit for the filing of taxes.

That said, even if though he meets the filing requirement, he may not owe taxes.  He still needs to file the return, as failing to do so will generate a letter from the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies