turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DCAZ666

I am going to have a tax carryover of about 10K, I owe 6K from 2013 tax year. Am I able to use this carryover to pay for my outstanding tax liability?

We put on solar panels and that is why I am going to much back this year, the government pays for 30% of the install.  I did not make that much and have a large carry over to next year.  Can this amount pay for my tax liability due?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I am going to have a tax carryover of about 10K, I owe 6K from 2013 tax year. Am I able to use this carryover to pay for my outstanding tax liability?

Unfortunately, the carryover of a tax credit cannot be applied to a prior tax liability. 

If you are expecting a refund, however, that cash may be applied to your outstanding balance due to the IRS. In most cases, the IRS does this automatically.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, the carryover of a tax credit cannot be applied to a prior tax liability. 

If you are expecting a refund, however, that cash may be applied to your outstanding balance due to the IRS. In most cases, the IRS does this automatically.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies