turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sara5

What if I have a 1095-A and a 1095-B?

I have a 1095-A that covers me from January - April and a 1095-B that covers me from April - December. Should I omit the 1095-A?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

You'll need to enter the 1095-A, but not the 1095-B.  Make sure you answer the very first question in the Healthcare section, telling TurboTax that you had coverage for the entire year.  Then you'll be asked, Were you enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016 and you'll check "yes" (since your 1095-A applies to one of those plans).

On the next screen you'll need to check Obamacare Plan (1095-A), then just continue and follow the prompts to enter your 1095-A information.

You won't have to enter the 1095-B, but keep it for your records. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ThomasM

You'll need to enter the 1095-A, but not the 1095-B.  Make sure you answer the very first question in the Healthcare section, telling TurboTax that you had coverage for the entire year.  Then you'll be asked, Were you enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016 and you'll check "yes" (since your 1095-A applies to one of those plans).

On the next screen you'll need to check Obamacare Plan (1095-A), then just continue and follow the prompts to enter your 1095-A information.

You won't have to enter the 1095-B, but keep it for your records. 

sara5

If I had coverage the entire year, I should not be penalized, and I am being penalized when I only enter the 1095-A? The cuts my return more than half.
ThomasM

Understand that there are two things happening.  One is the penalty for not having insurance, and if you had coverage the entire year and answered that initial question, then you aren't being penalized.

The second thing is a little more complicated.  If you received any amount of subsidy (an advance on the Premium Tax Credit) to help pay your premiums (shown on the 1095-A), then those subsidies were based on your estimated income.  Now that the tax year is over and you know your actual income, the amount of PTC that you were actually eligible for is being calculated and compared to the amount you received based on your estimated income.  If you estimated too low, then you have to pay some/all of that subsidy back; if you estimated to high, then you'll receive credit for an additional amount on your tax return.

That's probably what's happening in your case.  You're not being penalized; you're having to pay back some of that subsidy because your income wound up being higher than your estimate.

The problem I'm having is that even if I check the "did have coverage the entire year"box, after entering my 1095-a (only needed the coverage for the first 4 months of the year) the software will not let me proceed/add the form with the remaining 8 months left at $0...so it seems like it will calculate for months that I did not have aca coverage 😕

I have the same problem as well. Get employed for the end of the year, received 1095-B for that. But Turbo tax won't allow me to leave some part zero. HELP!

I'm having the same issue! I was covered the entire year Jan-July with a marketplace plan that I have a 1095-A for and then Aug-Dec I was covered by my employer which I have a 1095-B form. TurboTax won't let me proceed without having the Aug-Dec boxes filled in with something.
I tried going around that by saying I was covered part of the year to see if it would give me the option to identify that I have both types of form and it doesn't.

The health insurance through healthcare.gov was during the time I was not working. In June I got a job with health benefits so I have both 1095A and B, but when I fill in necessary information, I’m having to payback on the credit. Do they not account for the fact that during that time I was not making any money? I received the credit during months that was necessary. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies