Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Underpayment Penalty

Am I facing an underpayment penalty if my tax this year is $1,285 but I received a refund of $1,918 last year?  In other words, I didn't expect a tax liability this year of $1,285.

DonB

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Underpayment Penalty

No, one of the exceptions to the underpayment penalty is that you did not owe any taxes last year.

If you happen to owe again next year and do not make payments of at least $1,285 this year if you owe more than that or 90% of what you owe if you owe less than that, then you would have a penalty next year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Underpayment Penalty

No, one of the exceptions to the underpayment penalty is that you did not owe any taxes last year.

If you happen to owe again next year and do not make payments of at least $1,285 this year if you owe more than that or 90% of what you owe if you owe less than that, then you would have a penalty next year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Underpayment Penalty

if you had a tax liability in 2020  (line 24) and if you had neither withholding nor estimated tax payments you would owe a penalty because you owe more than $1000 for 2021

on form 2210 you can request first-time penalty abatement PART II box A - it is up to the IRS to agree or disagree.

Underpayment Penalty

I have accepted your answer as the best answer to my question.  However, if I interpret your answer correctly, the only way I can be assured that I am not penalized next year if I fail to make an estimated tax payment this year, is to be sure that I withhold an amount that ensures I get a refund next year which is not easy to do.

Underpayment Penalty

Mike, I received a refund of $1918 for the tax year 2020 as I mentioned in my question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies