Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to get IP PIN number because I don't have any credit card or loans. Do I have to send in paper return and not file online

Yes, Ive used an IP PIN for the past 5 years or so. and my efile was rejected due to not having the pin. I will attempt with last years AIG but I don't believe I can bypass it this way. If they had eliminated the use of IP Pins, why bother with CP01A  notices?

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to get IP PIN number because I don't have any credit card or loans. Do I have to send in paper return and not file online

I did try to submit the Federal return with the IP PIN number blank, and it was rejected.   Will try and contact a local IRS office, although according to the IRS website, they are not currently staffed.  

Looks like there might be an opportunity to make a phone appointment, will try that next, thanks. 

@LeonardS 

Why do the "experts" keep repeating this misinformation.?

The self-select PIN is still an alternative to AGI.

If one doesn't work, use the other.

Fefe3188

I need my pin

Valensluv

Having exact same issue- have tried everything- is there a way to make a phone appointment with IRS at this time to get a new up pin?

ssolis33

I CANNOT get my IP PIN either, and even to update my information for the stimulous check for "Non-filers" they still need my IP PIN. So frustrating. 

I tried calling IRS appointment numbers listed at local IRS office websites, and receive recorded messages that they are not staffed at this time.

Next step:  wait a couple of months to see if they're staffed later on.

Not only will mailing in a return cause a delay in a refund, our state (New York) has a policy to penalize filers that send in a paper copy.  And, according to TurboTax, we can't eFile the state return unless we eFile the Federal return first.

OMG this is SoO Frustrating!!!😤  

For the last 3 years, I’ve received the CP01A Notice around Dec-Jan. Well I never received it for the 2019 tax year, which is supposed to provide you with your IP PIN. The only 2 ways I am aware of to retrieve a lost or never received IP PIN is by using their online tool Get an IP PIN (which requires you to verify your identity by providing a credit card or mortgage/auto loan account number, that I do not have), OR by calling [phone number removed] to have your IP PIN reissued and mailed to your address on record. However, that phone number is a dead end because they are CLOSED until further notice. So I have NO WAY to retrieve my IP PIN which is the key to being able to file my taxes, let alone provide my direct deposit information to the IRS so I can receive my economic stimulus check. Why is this issue just being IGNORED by the IRS?! 

I am in the EXACT same boat. We owed taxes in 2018 so I never put in my bank info. Can't file for this year because they never sent my husband his pin and we can't call and he doesn't have any of the info for the Retrieve Your Pin on the site. Everytime I check Get My Payment it says Status Unavailable Cannot Determine Eligibilty. I'm so behind on bills I need that stimulus check!

TurboTax Community,

After conducting more research, it seems that we should have an opportunity to input AGI from line 7 of the 2018 federal tax filing into TurboTax, in order to meet the identity requirements of the IRS for the 2019 efile   See this guidance below from a competitor to TurboTax: 

https://www.efile.com/adjusted-gross-income-or-agi/

When going through the steps outlined in the TurboTax help, there isn't a screen offered in which to enter the 2018 AGI.  Instead, the screens go through NYS identification in our case, and then the random number screen, and then "You're ready to eFile!" 

If you look at the www.efile.com screen shot in the link above, you'll see they offer a prompt to enter last year's AGI.

And I recall this feature was available in previous efilings using TurboTax.  This may be a TurboTax-specific glitch for 2019 filings.  And, it would explain why those of us who received a CP01A in the past didn't receive one this year, if AGI is the now the IRS' method of verifying identity, as an earlier poster to this thread indicated.

Turbo experts, any further guidance?

Thank you for that info. However, the link you provided says Page Not Found. Can you double check the link to make sure it posts correctly please. I don’t think the “[productkeyremoved]” is supposed to be part of that link...
“ https://www.efile.com/adju[productkey removed]e-or-agi/ ”

Thank You ☻︎

Agreed, it should not have been part of the link.  Something is modifying the URL during the posting process, I can see that now in a preview of an earlier draft of this message.

Since the link continues to display that "product key removed" issue (likely a problem related to Windows 10 in general) when I try pasting it directly, I've taken a snip of the link here:

efilesnip.png

It won't automatically link you to the website, but you can type it in and find it that way.

Try copying and pasting:  efile/com/adju[product key removed]e-or-agi into your browser.

Googling "efile.com adjusted gross income for 2019".  That's basically how I came across the site.

And please ignore the last two sentences in the last post (still brings up that product key issue!)!

The IRS IP PIN system doesn't work. When I put my student loan, autoloan, or my last 8 digits,  of credit card number,  the system keeps saying that it can't verify my information from my credit report. 

The use Experian credit report,  and I use the same accounts on my report,  and it does work. The last 4 or 5 numbers on the accounts  on the credit report are xed ou.

How can we make a phone appointment? Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies