Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amrudra
Returning Member

unable to generate form 8606

hi, 

this was the first time I created a backdoor roth in 2023 for $6500. I followed the instructions on this page below but I dont see any reference to a 8606 form. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/how-and-when-does-form-8606-get-triggered-in...

I got this message where its says the below and my IRA deduction is $0. 

Contribution to IRA not deductible due to MAGI being too high

How do I ensure a 8606 is generated? I dont have any previous IRA/SEP/or backdoors. 

thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

When you get the message "Contribution to IRA not deductible due to MAGI being too high" then this means that your traditional IRA contributions are automatically nondeductible and TurboTax will create Form 8606 and add your nondeductible contribution on line 1.

To confirm, are you using TurboTax Desktop? Do you see Form 8606 after entering the nondeductible IRA contribution when you switch to form mode?

Please see How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
amrudra
Returning Member

Thank you for getting back DanaB27. 

I notice this on the top left corner. IT just says Intuit turbotax.  It doesnt say desktop.

I tried to re-enter the information again following the steps in the URL you sent. Here is what I have now:

I do see a form 1040 preview and this is what I see:

Form 1040, Line 4a = 6500

4b Taxable amount=5

Schedule 1, Line 20, IRA deduction is blank.

Does this look right? I still don't see a 8606 form anywhere. It looks like I got some *change in investment value* on my traditional IRA at the end of dec 31st for $5.07 which shows up in 4b. 

thanks

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, this looks correct.

If you are using TurboTax Online in a web browser then you can view all form with these steps (you might be ask to pay first):

1. Select Tax Tools on the left and then Print Center 
  2. Select Print, save or preview this year's return
  3. Select returns and choose to print just the tax return or to include all worksheets as well. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you have a non-deductible TIRA and convert the whole thing to Roth you won't need an 8606...this form is only if you have a mixture of deductible and non-deductible TIRA -OR- you make non-deductible TIRA and don't convert the Entire Amount...based on the post, it seems you converted the Whole Thing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies