Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

srpilcher

Unable to efile with ineligible HSA contribution which will be withdrawn before filing deadline?

Turbotax does not let me efile with ineligible HSA contribution which will be withdrawn before filing deadline.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Unable to efile with ineligible HSA contribution which will be withdrawn before filing deadline?

That is probably not the problem. 

Where did you get this, "You can't e-file" message? In the HSA interview? in the Review? In the e-file step? Was there a message along with this?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
srpilcher

I try to efile and it shows 1 error which is telling me to select self or family high deductible medical insurance.  She has an employer HSA contribution on her w-2 but is claimed as a dependent on her parent's return. This contribution was made in error.  I indicated that she will withdraw the contribution before the filing deadline and it is correctly being reflected as taxable income on her return.  However, it will not allow the return to be efiled.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Ah! So "she" (spouse? daughter?) was not allowed to make HSA contributions because she could be claimed as a dependent (this is true).

In the HSA interview, you were told that any contributions were in excess (true) and that you would withdraw them (good).

Having said that, in your case, it would be OK to enter Self in the Review question, because (1) TurboTax already knows that she did not have qualifying HDHP coverage (being a dependent) so the calculations are correct, and (2) this will get you past this Review check that it keeping you from e-filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies