Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Uber sent me a 1099misc and a Tax Summary. My Tax Summary states I made $4000 gross income from Uber. My 1099misc says I made $1917 from Uber. Which amount do I report?

The $1917 is listed in the Tax Summary as “Total Additional Earnings.”

The gross income ($4000) is listed as “Gross Trip Earnings + Total Additional Earnings.” I’m guessing I use the latter sum, but do I file the $4000 as a 1099K?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Uber sent me a 1099misc and a Tax Summary. My Tax Summary states I made $4000 gross income from Uber. My 1099misc says I made $1917 from Uber. Which amount do I report?

You will want to enter the amounts separately in TurboTax but on the same Schedule C.  You will want to enter the amount specifically reported on Form 1099-MISC ($1917) in the heading for income reported on Form 1099-MISC.  Then, you will want to enter the rest of the gross income (so $4000 - $1917 = $2083 - though it looks like it might not be an even $4,000 gross from your screenshot) under the heading for additional income.  These sections will be on the same screen in TurboTax.  See screenshot below for example.

You can enter your Uber income as self-employed income/expenses for Schedule C by following the instructions below -

• Log into your account and click Take Me To My Return (you must click this before searching if you are not already in your account)
  • Type “Schedule C" in the search box, top right of your screen, then click the magnifying glass
  • Click the "jump to schedule c" link in the search results.
  • You will arrive at the Your Business summary page where you can add/edit a business
  • If you have not set up your business profile, the program will ask you a series of basic questions to establish your profile 
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your business income and expenses
  • For entering income, there will be two main sections:  one specifically for income reported on a Form 1099-MISC and one for all other additional income (including cash, checks, or income reported on a Form 1099-K).  Enter income as described above.
  • After entering your income, you can proceed to the expenses section to deduct any business expenses for the Uber Income (such as gas and platform fees)

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will want to enter the amounts separately in TurboTax but on the same Schedule C.  You will want to enter the amount specifically reported on Form 1099-MISC ($1917) in the heading for income reported on Form 1099-MISC.  Then, you will want to enter the rest of the gross income (so $4000 - $1917 = $2083 - though it looks like it might not be an even $4,000 gross from your screenshot) under the heading for additional income.  These sections will be on the same screen in TurboTax.  See screenshot below for example.

You can enter your Uber income as self-employed income/expenses for Schedule C by following the instructions below -

• Log into your account and click Take Me To My Return (you must click this before searching if you are not already in your account)
  • Type “Schedule C" in the search box, top right of your screen, then click the magnifying glass
  • Click the "jump to schedule c" link in the search results.
  • You will arrive at the Your Business summary page where you can add/edit a business
  • If you have not set up your business profile, the program will ask you a series of basic questions to establish your profile 
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your business income and expenses
  • For entering income, there will be two main sections:  one specifically for income reported on a Form 1099-MISC and one for all other additional income (including cash, checks, or income reported on a Form 1099-K).  Enter income as described above.
  • After entering your income, you can proceed to the expenses section to deduct any business expenses for the Uber Income (such as gas and platform fees)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies