Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax won't install. Throws an Unexpected Windows Install error 65535

Turbotax won't install on my modern Windows 10 system.  It throws an Unexpected Windows Install error 65535 and rolls back the installation.  I have followed the instructions here but they do not solve the problem: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-[product key removed]ected-erro...

I also booted into safe mode where no other software is running and it also does not solve the problem and has the same results.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I worked through troubleshooting with a phone support agent.  They were not able to solve the problem on my computer.  The installer issued an Unexpected Windows Error 65535 every single time and uninstalled the software itself.  They suggested I use the online version of TurboTax instead.  Seriously.  Eventually I gave up and I was actually able to install it on a different Windows 10 computer with no special effort.  But this is terribly unacceptable.  It should install cleanly on any modern Windows 10 computer.

Anyway.  My solution to get it working on the first computer was to perform the install on the first computer where I was having problems and then to kill the installer in the task manager when it reached 100%.  Then I installed it on the second computer with no problems.  Then I transferred the C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2019 folder from the working computer to the non working computer.  Then it ran fine on the first computer.

This solution is completely unacceptable for the normal user.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Contact TurboTax support and speak directly with a TurboTax support agent concerning this situation.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a contact link and hours of operation -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number
They are available M-F  from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time.

Support can also be reached during business hours by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

I worked through troubleshooting with a phone support agent.  They were not able to solve the problem on my computer.  The installer issued an Unexpected Windows Error 65535 every single time and uninstalled the software itself.  They suggested I use the online version of TurboTax instead.  Seriously.  Eventually I gave up and I was actually able to install it on a different Windows 10 computer with no special effort.  But this is terribly unacceptable.  It should install cleanly on any modern Windows 10 computer.

Anyway.  My solution to get it working on the first computer was to perform the install on the first computer where I was having problems and then to kill the installer in the task manager when it reached 100%.  Then I installed it on the second computer with no problems.  Then I transferred the C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2019 folder from the working computer to the non working computer.  Then it ran fine on the first computer.

This solution is completely unacceptable for the normal user.

I absolutely agree with you dahacker!  This is unacceptable. I could have finished my taxes with the time I have wasted just trying to install the program.. I have been using Intuit programs forever and I've never had this kind of trouble. I had a little bit of trouble loading it last year, but, this year.. Nothing! And, trying to get Support is almost impossible!  I am going to try your solution IF I can get it to load on my husband's computer (and I doubt it with my luck.. LOL). And I can't use the online version because I have to use the Business program.

More importantly, Intuit just lost a 25+ year customer because this is totally unacceptable to me. It is ridiculous.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies