Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax will not submit e-file with two third-party/sick pay W2s from same company

Hello.  I received sick pay last year from a third-party benefits provider.  The company sent two W2s and TurboTax thinks they are a duplicate.  The W2s have the same EIN and address, however all other data is different (e.g., Control Number, Employer Name has a slight variation, all boxes 1-6).  While I wish they had sent one, the two W2s do add up to the amount I should be expecting, so there has been no duplication.  Through every Smart Check, TurboTax seemed to think these were duplicate W2s, however I always could click "Done" and not get stuck in a Smart Check loop.  However, at the final Federal "Transmit Your Returns" screen I click the Transmit button and get sent back to the "One More Check" --> then "Remove any duplicate W2s" screen.  After clicking Continue I get right back to the Transmit Your Returns screen and the loop starts all over again.  Any ideas for how to get out of this loop?  There is no "Done" option on the transmission screen as there was at previous points.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax will not submit e-file with two third-party/sick pay W2s from same company

TurboTax won't allow you to submit two Forms W-2 with the same EIN as it will appear to be an error. To resolve this, add the amounts in each box of the W-2 together and enter the totals in one W-2 form in TurboTax. Delete the second W-2 form in TurboTax. 

It won't matter if there is a slight variation in the payer's name, and the control number isn't a required field. The control number field will accept any series of two sets of 5 digits. See this help article for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax won't allow you to submit two Forms W-2 with the same EIN as it will appear to be an error. To resolve this, add the amounts in each box of the W-2 together and enter the totals in one W-2 form in TurboTax. Delete the second W-2 form in TurboTax. 

It won't matter if there is a slight variation in the payer's name, and the control number isn't a required field. The control number field will accept any series of two sets of 5 digits. See this help article for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Oh okay.  Thank you!  Yes, the name is only a slight variation.  When checking in TurboTax online, typing in the EIN makes the same name appear as Line 2 of the name on both W-2s.  Perhaps Line 1 of the name is just a department or account number.  Here is a representative example, but I think I will just combine them as you suggested.

W-2 #1:

Box b (EIN) = 12345

Box c (Name Line 1) = QRS 989898

Box c (Name Line 2) = Benefit Payments Inc.

W-2 #2:

Box b (EIN) = 12345

Box c (Name Line 1) = TUV 121212

Box c (Name Line 2) = Benefit Payments Inc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies