Solved: TurboTax tells me my state ID is invalid to efile because it’s more than 6 numbers but 8 numbers show on line 15

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTax tells me my state ID is invalid to efile because it’s more than 6 numbers but 8 numbers show on line 15

The number starts with 2 zeros do I leave those zeros off?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax tells me my state ID is invalid to efile because it’s more than 6 numbers but 8 numbers show on line 15

Yes.  The zeroes are placeholder digits and are not necessary.  You can drop them and the return should be able to file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  The zeroes are placeholder digits and are not necessary.  You can drop them and the return should be able to file.

View solution in original post

Thank You so much!
Employee Tax Expert

Just curious, KY or another state?

Yes KY
Employee Tax Expert

@nnduncan I was away a couple of days.  I thought so.  KY is one of the few states that has a 6-digit ID, and TurboTax requires it to be 6 digits.  When there are more, it's because the payroll service put extra zeroes which need to be removed.  If there's less than 6 digits, then zeroes need to be added to the front.  
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings