turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mattschwartz89
Returning Member

TurboTax tells me, "Avoid issues with the IRS and your refund by entering the exact total amounts." When I do, it rounds up the amounts, resulting in an incorrect number.

My wife and I each received $862.50 for the AdvCTC. But when I enter precisely those amounts, TurboTax rounds them up and prompts to check a box confirming that "$1,726 is the correct amount." But it is not the correct amount, and there is literally no way for me to correct the sum to $1,725 without entering incorrect individual amounts so that they can add up to $1,725. This is infuriating.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

TurboTax tells me, "Avoid issues with the IRS and your refund by entering the exact total amounts." When I do, it rounds up the amounts, resulting in an incorrect number.

Try adjusting the entry to $862.49 to see if the right amount will appear.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mattschwartz89
Returning Member

That just decreases the total to $1,724—still $1 off, simply in the other direction.

Because of TurboTax's inexplicable need to round the numbers for absolutely no reason, the least-incorrect way to produce the accurate sum of $1,725 is to intentionally use incorrect amounts of $863 and $862. I am concerned that using incorrect amounts that don't agree to Letter 6419 could increase my risk of being flagged for audit.

Round 1 of the numbers down and the other up. I am assuming you are entering them individually. It will equal $1725.

mattschwartz89
Returning Member

Right, that's what I ended up doing. But TurboTax needs to update its instructions, because I had to explicitly violate them in order to have the correct number appear on my tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies