Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

raam160

Can international students use turbotax to file tax returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No, If you are an international student and need to file Form 1040-NR, you will not be able to use TurboTax.  Unfortunately you have to find another method to prepare your tax returns.

View solution in original post

33 Replies

What if an international student has already filed income tax return using TurboTax and is approved by TurboTax?
Turbo tax says IRS has approved my filed return, but when I see my status on IRS website it says waiting for approval.
What will happen next and what m I supposed to do now?
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No, If you are an international student and need to file Form 1040-NR, you will not be able to use TurboTax.  Unfortunately you have to find another method to prepare your tax returns.

Do I need to amend my return if I did that way?

Yes you do.
Anonymous
Not applicable

TurboTax partners with Sprintax for international filers:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2437638-does-turbotax-handle-form-1040nr-for-nonresident-aliens">h...>

the answer would actually depend on the time spent in the US.
Mosheer

I think it depends on the definition of residents vs non resident for tax purposes. This irs site considers international students as United States residents for tax purposes if they meet the substantial presence <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test">https://www.irs.g...>

So if someone meets this test, can he/she use Turbo tax?

but the SPT only applies after the first five calendar years on a student visa.
Mosheer

To make sure we have the same situation. I worked as full time and stayed the whole 2016 and 2017 in USA on OPT status.
I filed 2016 taxes using turbo tax and got the refund and the IRS haven't contacted me for any mistake.
After reading that turbo tax might not work, I went to a tax service office to file my 2017 taxes. They confirmed that I am treated as a residence for tax purposes because I pass the presence test described here <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test">https://www.irs.g...>
So they filed 1040 for me (NOT 1040NR) and 1040/1040EZ is the same form that is generated by Turbo Tax. I paid $50 for the accountant and I got the same refund as Turbo Tax (and Turbo Tax is free).

I confirmed and asked her if my 2016 turbo tax filing is wrong, she said it is good and nothing needs to be modified/amended. From now on, I’ll only use turbo tax and is absolutely right to use it because:
- This kind of status is treated as residence (based on the irs definition in the link above)
- If something is wrong, I would’ve received a notice from the IRS but here I am. It is 2018 and I haven’t received anything about my 2016 filing.

@Mosheer, on F1 (including OPT) you are a nonresident alien for the first 5 calendar years, only after these 5 years are used up would you start using the substantial presence test.
TaxGuru

No. You are a non resident and need to file form 1040NR. Check 1040nra.com which support preparing 1040NR form for international students

sanz
Level 2

attaching link to IRS for more details:
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test

Upvote post so others can find this, also feel free to correct if i got my facts wrong.

Let me explain difference in filling as non-resident and resident,
residents are taxed for all the income in USA as well outside, whereas NR are taxed only for income in USA.
so for students, short answer it doesn't matter. You would be fine if you file thru turbotax which is free or through sprintax which charges fee.
Personal suggestion, if you have complicated condition like me (if you have 1099-Misc) file through sprintax. 
if you are only filling W-2s go ahead with turbotax. or fill up details on both and check what estimated refund you are getting (it would be same in most cases but at sometimes sprintax can give you better estimate).
Sprintax is basically NR filling partner of turbotax, if you dont know what it is.

Basically Resident aliens are non-U.S. citizens who have green cards or who have been in the country for at least 183 days (acc to the presence test) over a three-year period including the current year. Nonresident aliens are those who are legally present in the U.S. but do not have green cards, such as tourists.
now for students it depends if you have been USA for 183 days you can file as resident (ie. turbotax)

What is presence test?

You will be considered a United States resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States (U.S.) on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
    • All the days you were present in the current year, and
    • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
    • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

Example:

You were physically present in the U.S. on 120 days in each of the years 2012, 2013, and 2014. To determine if you meet the substantial presence test for 2014, count the full 120 days of presence in 2014, 40 days in 2013 (1/3 of 120), and 20 days in 2012 (1/6 of 120). Since the total for the 3-year period is 180 days, you are not considered a resident under the substantial presence test for 2014.

There are exemptions to this as well

Exempt Individual

Do not count days for which you are an exempt individual. The term "exempt individual" does not refer to someone exempt from U.S. tax, but to anyone in the following categories:

• An individual temporarily present in the U.S. as a foreign government-related individual under an “A” or “G” visa, other than individuals holding “A-3” or “G-5” class visas.
  • A teacher or trainee temporarily present in the U.S. under a "J" or "Q" visa, who substantially complies with the requirements of the visa.
  • A student temporarily present in the U.S. under an "F," "J," "M," or "Q" visa, who substantially complies with the requirements of the visa.
  • A professional athlete temporarily in the U.S. to compete in a charitable sports event.

JN45

Hi, I'm a bit confused about this part. So, I'm a F-1 student in the US, and according to the presence test, I should pass that. However, under the Exempt Individual, it includes "A student temporarily present in the U.S. under an "F," "J," "M," or "Q" visa". So does this mean I'll never be a resident alien for tax purpose (with my F-1 status), since the days being present as F-1 student just do not count towards to presence test? 

Many thanks to anyone who can clarify this.

sanz
Level 2

technically speaking, yes you would never be resident alien unless you get greencard maybe. F-1 students are non resident aliens. Stating that I know lot of people filling using turbotax they didn't had any problem so far.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies