Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lip2

Turbotax keeps saying i owe an underpayment penalty. I don't. I refuse to pay Turbotax to correct its own error. Do I file with Turbotax or go another route?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Turbotax keeps saying i owe an underpayment penalty. I don't. I refuse to pay Turbotax to correct its own error. Do I file with Turbotax or go another route?

Well...perhaps you do owe a penalty.

@lip2 

A Penalty can occur even if you get a Refund.

This usually occurs if you make uneven quarterly estimated payments, or perhaps received a large distribution late in the year where you made just one end-of-year estimated payment.

________

Sometimes, if you are in this situation, you may be able to limit the penalty/interest by going thru the Underpayment penalty calculations on the "Other Tax Situations" page in the software, to prepare an Annualized Income tax form (2210/2210AI), that defines exactly when you received all your income, and exactly when you made payments/withholding etc thru the year....divided up by quarter. 

It is a pain to do that though, (having done that once or twice) and I won't bother myself unless the penalty/interest is over ~$50.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
lip2

well, i enter the same information in plausible but slightly different ways and the penalty changes by $1 to a few hundred dollars, so, no, in fact. I don't. 

we can tell whether you owe a penalty or not. if you don't trust Turbotax's calculation you can check box C on form 2210 to let the IRS compute the penalty, if any.

lip2

thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies