kittypete

Turbotax is calculating incorrectly the amount I paid in state taxes, how do I correct this?

KathrynG3

To correct state taxes paid, go back to the original input and double-check the input. Use whole dollars. For 50 cents or more, round up.

Next, if you download the PDF after paying for the program, you can scan through the pages of your tax return to see the worksheets. There may be some tax rules TurboTax is handling behind the scenes for you.

Dan95

This did not correct the problem.  Can you override the entry?

MarilynG1

@Dan95 You can override an amount TurboTax has calculated, but you won't be able to Efile.

It's best to go back to the original entries that contain State Tax withheld in your Federal return and review them for accuracy.  TurboTax pulls the amounts right off your W-2's, 1099's, etc. 

If you made estimated tax payments, paid taxes for a prior year, or had a carryover, check your Tax Payments Worksheet and Federal Carryover Worksheet for these amounts.  These are reported in 'Estimates and Other Taxes Paid' under Deductions & Credits. 

Click this link for info on State Tax Payments that may help you. 

Dan95

I deleted all the forms, including Federal and started from scratch.  I e-filed today.  Unfortunately, now it shows pending only for California State tax filings.  There is a big thread and hundreds of complaints.  It appears to be a major glitch with Turbotax.