Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Incorrectly showing ITIN expired

I have SSN. My wife has ITIN (issued by IRS in 2020). We used my SSN and her ITIN to file jointly for tax year 2020 and tax year 2021. 

The middle (4th and 5th) digits of my wife's ITIN are: "94"

Now, I am filing for tax year 2022. When I enter her ITIN in TurboTax, it shows an error: "This ITIN is expired. You'll need to renew it to have this return processed by the IRS."

I checked the IRS website for ITIN. "94" ITINs are expired only if they were issued before 2013. Looks like TurboTax is incorrect. 

Question: What should I do? What's the best course of action here? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Print your return and mail it. 

@Bsch4477 

I am yet to complete it -- I think I can do e-file. It was showing the error when I entered the ITIN but it let me proceed. 

I am having the SAME issue. Middle digit 90 and issued IN 2013 not before. 

Did you complete successfully your tax return 2020 @Bsch4477 through TurboTax despite the message saying ITIN expired?

I am getting same error msg in 2024 and I am pretty sure my ITINs are not expired as per the IRS rules. I want to know if it is safe to ignore that error message and complete the process in TurboTax.

Thanks in advance

Hi--I just went ahead and called the IRS to renew it. I went through the process and am waiting for the renewal notice. I understand that if you go ahead and file taxes then, you will need to print the return and file by mail. Also, you will be penalized for any benefit you might have gained on your taxes IF the IRS also shows it as expired. Hope this helps!

I have the same error message filling my 2023 taxes.

I called IRS and they confirm  my ITIN are NOT expired, that I can proceed with them.

Is somebody from Turbotax here that can confirm this is an error from the APP side?
And also, if somebody did file last year even with the "error" and if they have any issues or not?
Thanks!

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Per Champ @DoninGA,

"Ignore the message and continue.  TurboTax is incorrectly flagging the middle two digits of the ITIN that are the same as an ITIN issued prior to 2013."

Here's FAQ's from the IRS regarding ITIN's.

Edited 1/24/2024 | 11:47 am

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies