Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MSims
Returning Member

Turbotax Home & Business product - Under "Deductions & Credits", the Why does "Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)" show zero even after I enter the amount ?

Turbotax Home & Business - After entering my ACA 10195-A information the Medical section of "Deductions & Credits", it boots the "Medical Expenses" amount line above but the "Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)" amount remains zero? When I click to update it it shows my ACA policy # and $20,616 (the amount from "C. Monthly advance payment of premium tax credit" of my 1095-A?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Turbotax Home & Business product - Under "Deductions & Credits", the Why does "Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)" show zero even after I enter the amount ?

Health Insurance Marketplaces furnish Form 1095-A to:

• IRS to report certain information about individuals who enroll in a qualified health plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
  • Individuals to allow them to:
    • take the premium tax credit,
    • reconcile the credit on their returns with advance payments of the premium tax credit (advance credit payments), and
    • file an accurate tax return.

If you use more of the PTC than your final taxable income allows, you may need to repay the difference when you file your taxes, but if you use less than you qualify for, you may receive the difference as a refundable credit on your return. See this article for more information about the Premium Tax Credit. 

You will need to enter the information from Form 1095-A in TurboTax if you haven't already. TurboTax will automatically fill out Form 8962 once you enter your Form 1095-A. It is Form 8962 that will affect your bottom-line tax; the Form 1095-A is needed just to get the rest of the information for Form 8962.

As you saw, the premiums paid are added to Medical Expenses.

See also this IRS article and this TurboTax tips article for more information about the Premium Tax Credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies