turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

User

TurboTax form 8962 incorrect computation

TurboTax 2017 triggered an audit from IRS. TurboTax incorrectly computed the total, which differed from the 1095-A form. TurboTax rounded every monthly number in the worksheet instead of rounding the total. That triggered a difference of around $4 between the number reported by 1095-A and the TurboTax. Spent 4 hours gathering all necessary documentation for IRS to compensate for Intuit's poor software writing skills.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I had the same problem. The monthly amounts in columns a and b were rounded before totalling, leaving my totals incorrect.

jht
Level 1

My TurboTax 2016 and 2017 returns were both audited because of Form 8962 rounding errors. Because TurboTax rounds the monthly values, the annual amounts are a few dollars off from the annual totals reported on Form 1095-A. In both years I had to send the IRS documentation showing how TurboTax rounds monthly figures and thus explaining the discrepancies between the TurboTax generated Form 8962 and the healthcare exchange generated Form 1095-A. I'm not sure I want to go through another audit with my 2018 return. My 2017 refund was delayed nine months because of these rounding errors. Does anyone know if Intuit has fixed this for 2018? All we need is the option to enter an annual amount rather than monthly amounts which end up being rounded and causing problems. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that the Form 8962 generated by TurboTax shows only the annual amounts anyway; the rounding of monthly amounts is not apparent to an IRS auditor.

Inuit, please help.

Clame my text
myklj

I'm having the same issue with amounts mismatching the 1095a totals. Tried CreditKarma and it worked properly and free! I wish Intuit would fix this ongoing bug.

myklj

Also TaxAct totals match 1095a totals as well.

Nop they have not. I just noticed the mistake on taxes that my girlfriend filed yesterday ( first time using turbo tax). We will use another company in the future.

jht
Level 1

Thanks ernestolefebre for the update on TurboTax 2018. Given the TurboTax errors remains, I just tried HR Block and the Form 8962 was calculated perfectly with the annual sums matching those on the 1095a. I still don't understand how these TurboTax errors persist--users have complained about this problem for years.

This is *STILL* broken, 3 years later (doing taxes for 2020, in 2021). Schedule 1 Line 16, self-employed health insurance deduction, is off by $4 because it is rounding each month separately on the 1095-A, then totaling the rounded months, rather than rounding the annual total per the IRS's instructions.  Honestly, are these developers so incompetent that they can't fix a rounding error that's clearly been reported for over 3 years?  Note: it was actually reported even earlier than this thread - I reported this in 2017 when it exhibited the same bug on my 2016 taxes, but they deleted the thread; the link was intuit.me/2xwKqV7.  So...they've actually been ignoring it for 4 years now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies