Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax error, or odd loophole for Qualified Education Program distributions for non-dependents?

I am a Head of Household filer and have two minor children in K-12 private school, for whom I take annual distributions from their respective 529 plans, of which I am the plan owner and they are the designated beneficiary, and pay for their tuition.  The tuition total is greater than the $10,000 limit for K-12 education, so I expect to pay income tax and the 10% Additional Tax on the proportional earnings portion of the excess distributions.  In past years, when I claimed both children as dependents, and Turbotax has calculated the tax exactly as I expected.

This year, for tax year 2021, one of my children will be claimed as a dependent by their other parent and, therefore, will appear in my return as a non-dependent.  That change (from having the designated beneficiary on the 1099-Q as a dependent in past years to a non-dependent for 2021) has Turbotax calculating zero income tax or Additional Tax for the earnings portions of the excess distributions for that child.  While this would be a pleasant surprise, it doesn't seem consistent with the tax code.  For fun, I've swapped the children as dependent and non-dependent, and the result is consistent; the dependent child's excess distributions get calculated as I expect and the non-dependent child's excess distributions do not get taxed at all.  I've also tried to force the worksheets for the non-dependent child to match what I expect the tax to be, but those fields aren't editable by me.

I'm looking for ideas...  Am I missing something in the way I'm entering the data into Turbotax?  Am I missing a pleasant surprise in the tax code?  Or might this be an edge case that Turbotax doesn't handle as expected?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Turbotax error, or odd loophole for Qualified Education Program distributions for non-dependents?

When you enter the Tuition and Enrollment Fees for the non-dependent, please limit that entry to 10,000. 

Only 10,000 of Elementary and Secondary education expenses can be claimed per student per tax year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks.  That did indeed produce the results I was expecting.  Not at all intuitive, or consistent with how dependent student expenses are handled, but a good enough work-around.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies