turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IDologies
Returning Member

TurboTax Download scam risk

I've found Turbo Tax Premier 2018 download on web sites for as little $35 (e,g., taxpros19.com/product-category/new-turbotax-2018/) but the web site is new this year and not risk rated.  Seems like downloading carries an inherent risk of virus or malware.  Has anyone had either good or bad experiences with Downloaded TT?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Downloading the CD version of the program from anywhere other than an authorized reseller of Intuit products is risky at best. The list of authorized resellers is quite a bit, and in my neck of the woods are all well known. For example, Wal-Mart, Amazon, Frey's, Newegg, and a number of others.

Now those were authorized resellers last year. Doesn't mean they will all be authorized for 2018. I'll have to ask if a list exists yet, but I know that nobody will get back to me until Monday at the earliest, since TurboTax Support is closed on the weekends.

The website you mention (taxpros19) sounds more like a fly-by-night setup that will be gone as fast as it appeared on the web. So I'd definitely avoid it.

Now the surest place to purchase the CD online (other than physically going to your local retailer) is at https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

IDologies
Returning Member

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.  You touched on what I was hoping to hear from Intuit, namely a list of authorized sellers of the downloadable version.  Where to find the list is not obvious on the Intuit web site.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies