Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gottaxed

[TurboTax Desktop 2023 MacOS] Morgan Stanley at Work 1099-B import - incorrect/username password

Hey folks,

I can't import 1099-B because of incorrect/username password:

1. I approved TurboTax sharing on Morgan Stanley at Work website.

2. Password and username are correct (changed 3 times).

3. Older posts mentioned creating a simpler password, but now Morgan Stanley at Work requires at least 1 special character. Tried so far . @ # and $. Maybe these are not parsed correctly? Though the dot seemed safe.

What are my other options?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

[TurboTax Desktop 2023 MacOS] Morgan Stanley at Work 1099-B import - incorrect/username password

When you encounter problems with importing, start by checking if your financial institution or brokerage is a TurboTax 1099 partner (opens a new page; scroll down and select the 1099/1098 Partners tab). If your institution isn't on the list, you won't be able to import.

Verify your partner:

Make sure you're selecting the correct partner in TurboTax. Some have similar-sounding names but are actually separate entities. For example, J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, J.P. Morgan Funds, J.P. Morgan Private Bank, and J.P. Morgan Securities are all listed as TurboTax partners, and if you choose the wrong J.P. Morgan, you won't be able to import. Also, some entities may use a different name for investments. Be sure to check with your institution to determine what company their investments are being held under.

Once you've confirmed that your institution is a TurboTax 1099 partner, make sure you're using the proper sign-in credentials on the import page, and that you have a working internet connection. A wired connection, if available, may be more stable than wireless.

Finally, make sure your forms are available to import into TurboTax. Frequently, the forms will be available to view on the brokerage side, but are not enabled for import yet.

Please see this help article for more information.

If you are still having difficulty after ruling out all of these issues, you can contact us by phone so we can take a deeper look into this.  In the alternative, you could enter your 1099-B manually.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

+1

Exactly same problem. It looks like this is a new integration and there are issues with it. It's so frustrating to explain their support what the problem is because they keep on giving generic advice as opposed to looking into the specific problem.

CBD3

What just worked for me is in this post https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/having-trouble-importing-from-morgan-stanley-erro...

Basically remove the special characters from your password and it works. This is 100% a coding issue on the Intuit TurboTax folks that *should be fixed* and violates all kinds of best practices when choosing strong passwords.

gottaxed

I also assumed it might be issue with escaping characters that are in the password.

However as mentioned in (3), I already found these posts about creating a simpler password, but now Morgan Stanley at Work requires at least 1 special character, so this workaround didn't work for me. I tried a few special characters.

Which special character worked for you?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies