Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Business 2020 bug: Unable to choose a state to download if executor lives in a state that has no state tax since the “Get Another State” button is hidden.

This is a detailed software development bug report...
Bug in Version: 2020.48.23.78 (updated 5/2/2021)

Use case: Decedent dies with residency in a state that has state tax.  Executor (or legal representative) lives in a state that does NOT have state tax.  The TurboTax Step-By-Step wizard needs to show the “Get Another State” button to allow choice of state.

Suggested fix: Add a data field to store decedent’s state of residence (e.g. Virginia).  Stop referencing the Executor’s state data field… it’s irrelevant (indeterminate).  Why?  Quite often, the Executor (or legal representative) lives in a different state, usually a child of deceased.  Tax law states that the decedent’s state determines which state tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

TurboTax Business 2020 bug: Unable to choose a state to download if executor lives in a state that has no state tax since the “Get Another State” button is hidden.

Software Design Flaw: The TurboTax Step-By-Step wizard needs to reference and choose (by default) the decedent’s state of residency upon death, not the Executor’s state. To provide the best user experience, the correct state needs to be shown on the screen AND the “Get Another State” button needs to be visible (for less common situations). Currently the executor’s state is shown on the screen and the “Get Another State” button is hidden (if executor’s state has no state tax).

Details:
After completing the federal return, the Step-By-Step wizard presents an ambiguous screen (“Your State Returns”) which only has “BACK” and “FILE” buttons.
- Title: Your State Returns
- Content: This year, you are required to file a state business income tax return in: <<e.g. Texas>> This state business return is not available in TurboTax. To complete this return, visit your department of revenue and download the appropriate forms to print or e-file separately.

Workaround #1: Fake out the software and enter a dummy executor address in the decedent’s desired state. This results in the correct screen which specifies <<e.g. Virginia>> instead of <<e.g. Texas>> including a “START” button and a “Get Another State” button in order to download another state. The following issue remains with this workaround: Even if you download the Virginia Fiduciary, the Step-By-Step Wizard still refuses to allow you to file a Virginia state tax using the Executor’s true (e.g. Texas) address (assuming you changed it back for filing). Executor has to find a family member in (e.g. Virginia) willing to allow the use of their address for filing. This is problematic for elderly decedents with only one child (who lives in a different state).

Workaround #2: Do #1 above. At the “Your State Returns” screen, switch to “Forms” mode. In the “Information Wks” form, manually change the state/zipcode from VA to TX. Go back to Step-By-Step mode. Now the START button appears for you to download <<e.g. Virginia>>. Below that, the “Not Supported States” verbiage also appears and lists Texas. It’s not clear whether you will be able to file it this way since I haven’t downloaded any states yet.
i.e. In Workaround #2, you start by entering VA, get to a screen with the download button but before downloading VA, go into forms mode to enter TX since that is how it needs to be filed. Then you can download and hopefully the final check will be ok with that.

I haven't downloaded yet so that I can continue to reproduce this bug for software dev if asked. I tried phone support 3 times and today they won't call me.
Support IDs:
[removed from post] (4/20/2021)
[removed from post] (5/5/2021)
[removed from post] (5/5/2021) (nice lady was trying and working with supervisor)

Sorry for all the posts! There is no way to submit a software bug to phone support, so this is the only way (without sharing my screen).

Update: I proceeded with the state fiduciary download and it looks like I’ll be able to file this in spite of the bug.

So here’s some tips and tricks.

1) Before the download, make a copy of your TurboTax Business file (e.g. MomEstate2020.tax2020).

2) If TurboTax gets into a mode where you can’t see the “Get Another State” or “START” button (when you switch back to Step-By-Step mode), you’ll have to exit and restore the earlier copy of your tax file.  Then try switching to forms mode to change the Executor’s state (you don’t have to change the zip or anything else) and then switch back to Step-By-Step mode.  I haven’t figured out how I got it into that quirky mode (where nothing appears in that screen) but it happened several times.  Fortunately, it’s fixable if you have that earlier copy of your TurboTax file to restore.

3) Technically speaking, you don’t have to download the “fiduciary state” from within the TurboTax program (which helps ensure you’re paying for the right download).  Instead, you can log into your online TurboTax account, pay for the state download (make sure you do the fiduciary for the desired state) and download the exe to your computer.  Then install that EXE.  You’ll have to make sure TurboTax is not running, as the state installer will complain.  I usually reboot before I install any software, but that’s because I’m a software developer and have been taking that precaution for decades.

Hope this helps.

This still isn't fixed as of 5/25/2021 using the last update 2020.48.29.87

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies