Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TQW
Level 2

TurboTax and state filing minimums for Virginia

Does TurboTax take into account the filing minimums for state tax returns?

I was a non-resident of the state of Virginia, but I earned income in the state and therefore owe taxes on that income. As a non-resident, I had no withholding in the state.

From what I can tell based on the Virginia department of taxation website only those who made more than $11,950 in the state are required to file (Virginia adjusted gross income). When I put my income and Virginia deductions into TurboTax the agi is less than $11,950 (I think, not sure if there is a place to see this), but TurboTax still indicates that I should file a Virginia tax return and owe a couple hundred in taxes to the state.

Do I need to? Am I missing something else?

Assumptions:
Virginia adjusted gross income = wages earned in Virginia - deductions

References: 
https://www.tax.virginia.gov/who-must-file 
https://www.tax.virginia.gov/residency-status

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

TurboTax and state filing minimums for Virginia

Yes, you need to file if you owe tax.   You have the thresholds correct, but Virginia AGI doesn't include all VA deductions.   See below.  You can preview your Form 1040 and VA Tax Summary before paying (go to Tools menu).   And you can view all forms and schedules after paying through the Print Center.   The tax summary will show your VA adjusted gross income.   Your resident state will give you a credit for tax paid to VA.  

The State of Virginia levies an income tax on all income earned by Virginia residents, whether actual or legal residents, or Virginia Income earned by non-residents or part-year residents. The tax is based on the Federal Adjusted Gross Income.

In most cases, your federal adjusted gross income (line 21 on form 1040A; and line 37 on form 1040) plus any Virginia additions and minus any Virginia subtractions computed on Schedule ADJ, is called Virginia Adjusted Gross Income.  It does not include standard or itemized deductions, the child and dependent care expense deduction, or personal exemptions.  Except for Part-Year residents, Virginia Adjusted Gross Income does NOT exclude income from outside of Virginia.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies