Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax 2020 Form 2210 error

I am impatiently waiting for the same issue to be resolved, or to be told by TT that they don't plan to fix it but instead to use the workaround you described above.

didaviscpa
Returning Member

Sorry to say that for the most part it is correct. Although on Form 2210 with regard to column 26(a) now being correctly carried forward to 20(c), etc. there is still an error. In the "tax payment worksheet form" if you enter two 7/15 estimated tax payments to correspond with the 4/15 and 6/15 payments, form 2210 line 19(a) ignores the second 7/15 payment and thus the whole form 2210 is again incorrect showing underpayments, although again the penalty does show 0. You can work around this to get a correct form 2210 Part IV by entering both 7/15 payments on line 1 of the tax payments worksheet and entering 0 on the second 7/15 amount line. Also when I look at the tax return that will be filed with IRS, I have two page 4s of Form 2210.The first Schedule AI shows all the correct numbers, but I also have an additional AI called page 4 (copy 2) that has the form with no numbers on it (basically a blank AI schedule). I still cannot believe how long this has taken.

AudreyHTX1
Returning Member

We ended up doing exactly that - combining our Q1 and Q2 payments and putting them on line 1 of the tax payments worksheet. I could see that column 18a showing the estimated tax due for Q1 and Q2, but column 19a only showing the Q1 estimated tax payment. We put both payments into line 1 since they were both paid by 7/15, and that corrected the form, plus it did the correct excess payment carryover to column c.

Rob852

After trying to resolve this same issue with Form 2210 in the Online version I spoke with TurboTax  representative Dana.  I informed her I was trying to just go to the form directly and change the uncooperative inputs. She suggested using the desktop version, which is the old TurboTax version I was familiar with.  Next year I'm going back to the desktop version.  Was able to go directly to the forms and update the withholding amounts correctly.   

Still waiting and it's way past Feb 25th. Any updates as to when you will have this error corrected?

Claire542

As of 5-7-21 the first quarter payment on 2210 is only half of what I paid as an estimate on 7-14-20. On the 2210 penalty worksheet the correct full payment is listed. I am using the Windows downloaded Deluxe version. Any thoughts on getting the correct amount on the form 2210 before the filing deadline next week?

Thanks.

Claire542

After posting I tried one more time to fix the 2210. It finally allowed me to override the error in the estimated amounts paid on line 19 column a for July 2020. Success !!

MAW2

As of today, TT still has not fixed the form 2210. Really!!

Turbotax is terrible. I overpaid in 2020 and received a refund. I also overpaid in 2021 and will receive a refund. Why do they insist on the Form 2210 that is holding up filing.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You may not owe a penalty, but Form 2210 (the form that calculates the penalty) will not be ready to e-file until 02/24, see availability chart.    Since the form is not ready, it is likely that it is not pulling the correct date information of your estimated payments yet.   The timing of the payments as compared to your income is what drives the penalty; once the form is finalized, you can confirm your true penalty situation, if any.   Once the form is finalized, TurboTax will take into account the dates of your payments and the penalty will most likely go away.

Why am I getting an underpayment penalty if I'm getting a refund?   You can still incur a penalty even if you get a refund because it is the timing of your payments and income by quarter.   See that link for examples.      @barbaraz

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TurboTax Premere had (has) an error on Form 2210, Line 10, Box a.   The calculated value was not the same as either of two candidate values (the OR (Otherwise)) condition in the instructions.

After getting help from their helpline, it turned out the fix (a workaround) was to place an "X" in D in Part III of Form 2210.  This was changed by redoing the interview. I had had an X in both C and D.  TurboTax got (gets) confused when both C and D are Xed.

Quite frankly, I don't know what the difference between C and D is, but it works right with only D.

TurboTax should fix this defect, but the workaround is ok

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies