Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

makoto0

Turbo Tax (TT) says I have a penalty of $2 for underpayment of estimated state tax even though it also says I have a state refund of $5.

My current year (2023) state tax after credits is $801.  My 2022 state tax was $806. 

Per TT, my required installments for 2023 are $217 due by 4/15/2023, $288 due by 6/15/2023, $0 due by 9/15/2023, and $303 due by 1/15/2024.  These 3 amounts add up to $808.  I paid in 4 equal installments of $202 ($202 x 4 = $808).  The $202 amounts I paid in a timely manner are the amounts my state requested per its Estimated Tax for Individuals forms.   

TT calculated my penalty based on its own required installments, not based on my state’s required installments.  To resolve this issue, should I just let the Franchise Tax Board calculate my penalty (which should be $0) since my only other option is to let TT include a $2 penalty on my return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Turbo Tax (TT) says I have a penalty of $2 for underpayment of estimated state tax even though it also says I have a state refund of $5.

You might be able to go though the state return and find a spot to fill out the state penalty sheet.  I don't know where it is, probably at the end.  But CA wants the 3 uneven payments.  See General Information

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2024/2024-540-es-instructions.html 

Installment Payments – Installments due shall be 30% of the required annual payment for the 1st required installment, 40% of the required annual payment for the 2nd required installment, no installment is due for the 3rd required installment, and 30% of the required annual payment for the 4th required installment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies