Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jogger23

Turbo Tax Programming Error for Colorado - 2023

For Colorado folks who are 65 or older as of December 31, 2023, they can subtract the full amount of social benefits received (line 6b of Federal Return). Under the age of 65, they can only claim a maximum of $20,000. My spouse, who turned 65 earlier in the year, was indeed 65 at the end of 2023; however, the Turbo Tax program used $20,000 not the higher amount from line 6b of our Federal Return. It appears the program didn't recognize she qualified for the 65 and older rule. So, now I have to file an amended return.

In the spirit of "no good deed goes unpunished", I contacted Turbo Tax via phone to report the problem. The representative genuinely tried to help, but she had no decision making authority. I explained the situation and she had to contact others (via some messaging program) for assistance. Ultimately, the response was for me to speak with one of their tax professionals; however, I would have to signup and pay to be able to do that...I declined. I was not seeking tax advice...I was just letting the company know that there was a programming error for the Colorado return. It seems unscrupulous to charge someone to report an error with the program.

It's unfortunate that there is not a better way to report programs errors. I've been using Turbo Tax for years and I'm not sure I'll return next year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

We have the same Retirement Income Exclusion in Georgia.  Both of us have received this exclusion for the past 10 years with no issues.

Where I have seen a problem from other GA users is if the date of birth is off by a year or two.

Have you verified that her date of birth is correctly entered for a date in 1958, using the format MM/DD/YYYY?

jogger23

Thank You DoninGA, you woke me up as I was having a "Senior Moment" about my wife's age and there's no issue with the TurboTax. My apologies!

No Problem.  I have made a number of mistakes myself and did the Duh, head slap.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies