Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maradsous
Returning Member

Turbo tax is not importing documents accurately

I am experiencing a software problem with Turbo Tax online. Yesterday I uploaded a 1099R and found it incorrectly indicated that box 7 "Distribution code" had a 1 in it when it should have shown the correct number 7. Even after I changed the number to 7 the program continued to compute as if it were 1. Only after I discarded the form and re-entered the data by typing myself did the form correctly reflect the 7 code. Had I not noticed this problem, I would have be out $15,000 or more. This morning I had a similar problem with a 1099DIV that I uploaded from a file. Turbo tax showed $647 interest when it should have been $1647 and also showed tax exempt interest when there was none on the form itself. Again, I had to delete the form and input by hand as the program continued to refer to non-existent tax exempt interest even after correction. I'm a long time user of turbo tax and never experienced this problem but no longer feel I can trust  auto download/upload accuracy or that the software will accept corrections when applied. Anyone else having this problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Never use a photo, nor a PDF upload.....only imports that come directly from a financial institution's tax import site.  (even those can go wrong ...Ally 1099-INT imports are historically just plain wrong, and are so again this year, at least as of this morning)

The software folks are trying to make Photo and PDF uploads error free for novices, but it's still a total crapshoot.  Just enter it manually !!!!!!

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Maradsous
Returning Member

Thanks, Errors I can live with, the software not allowing corrections is just not right. I plan to enter items manually for the rest of the return but TT shouldn't offer if they can't deliver! Appreciate your advice/input.

Logged into my turbotax account, opened tax return in turbotax, went to import, put in financial institution,

logged it via new turbotax window, checked all the boxes, hit OK, turbotax downloaded info, got the DONE button, and received msg to got back to turbotax.  Well, there was nothing, no entry, zero.  Waste of time

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Are you still trying to import the document? @SparkyD 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I entered everything manually, as was frustrated after multiple attempts.  Forgot to mention this was a purchased version (CD\DVD) of TurboTax Premium.   W2 imported fine, but would not do 1099-R's.  Thank you for responding though!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies