Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax error

My taxes were rejected apparently for a dependent who was claimed already. Turbo tax had me refile twice and both times they were rejected. Turbo tax had me complete the fix my tax option and informed me that the correction was made and prompted me to refile but it’s getting rejected for the same reason. I believe turbo tax didn’t remove the dependent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbo tax error

I am not sure why you were given that advice but the only way to e-file is to take that dependent off your return.  You would go to the Personal Info section, go to Dependents, click Edit on the dependent to remove, then choose delete.

If you have the right to claim the dependent, then you would have to mail in your return with the dependent on your return.  The IRS would then contact both parties who claimed the dependent, once they determine who had the right to claim the dependent, that return would go through claiming the dependent.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Turbo tax error

I am not sure why you were given that advice but the only way to e-file is to take that dependent off your return.  You would go to the Personal Info section, go to Dependents, click Edit on the dependent to remove, then choose delete.

If you have the right to claim the dependent, then you would have to mail in your return with the dependent on your return.  The IRS would then contact both parties who claimed the dependent, once they determine who had the right to claim the dependent, that return would go through claiming the dependent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies