Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2022 1040 Schedule 1, line 8 error

Attempting to do my taxes and the Federal and State reviews show no errors.  However when I tried to file electronically, I get the following reject message - "the sum of all form W-2's, 'WagesAmt' must not be greater than the sum of "wages, salaries, tips amount" when statutory employee form w2 is marked" - The return cannot be electronically filed due to a processing error related to other income items listed on 1040 schedule 1 line 8.  This issue will be resolved, but there is no estimated date for when it will be available.  Recommend waiting 2 weeks and check again or file by mail - 

Anyone else run into this?  My line schedule 1, line 8 amount is from a deferred comp payout - so it was reported on a W2 in box 1 wages, and then the same amount again in box 11 which is non qualified deferred comp.  That is correct...so am I correct in assuming Turbo Tax just doesnt have an update yet for this?  Debating giving it a couple of weeks or just filing by mail?  Seems if its as simple of an update to do, it wouldnt take too long?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

The error you have mentioned means the "Statutory Employee" box is marked on your W-2 entry into TurboTax.  If your W-2 is only reporting deferred compensation, this box should not be checked.  You need to review your Form W-2 you received from your employer to ensure it is not checked then review your TurboTax entry of the form as well.  If your employer sent the Form W-2 with the box checked, you need to request a corrected form be sent to you.

To review your Form W-2 entry in TurboTax Online and uncheck the box, you can follow these steps:

1. Within your federal tax return in TurboTax Online go to Income & expenses
  2. Click Edit on the Job(W-2) line you need to change
  3. Verify or enter the W-2 until you get to Box 13 and uncheck the Statutory Employee box
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the reply.  That is what I thought as well from my limited research, but my W2 form does not have the statutory box marked and it is not marked in Turbo Tax either - which is why I am so confused:)

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately this is a known error on the IRS side of the equation.  They are working to fix it and anticipate having it repaired soon.  Try to file again after February 6th.

@gtsum2

Thank you.  I will wait a bit and try again

ts59
Level 1

I, too, found that my return was rejected when I had Box 11 Non-qualified pension (I don't remember the exact wording).   In my case, the W2 was for imputed income for life insurance plus the non-qualified pension plan.   You are correct... the boxes below 1 & 2 add up to the box 1 & 2 numbers.   The cause appears to arise from the question that you are asked after entering the W2 with a box 11 amount in it.   If you answer, "yes, this was a withdrawal of cash", it'll trigger leaving the box 11 amount from your 1040 wage line and add the box 11 to the schedule 1 (other income) line on the specific line for "non-qualfied pension".   This will be added to your income on page 1 of the 1040 under "other income".   Hence, you're taxed on everything but the box 11 under wages and the box 11 on other income.   On the other hand, if, after entering the W2 info into Turbo Tax, you click on the box "No, this was contributed..." (I don't  remember the wording), all of the taxable income (including line 11 non-qualified pension) shows up under wages.   Hence, you're paying tax on line 11 either way at the same rate.   One could argue that the first is probably "more correct", however, the end result is that you're paying the appropriate tax on the income from wherever.   When you check the no box, the electronic filing works.

Just to clarify, go back to your federal input...go to inputting W2, click the edit (if you don't do this, you won't see the yes/no box to check).   Verify the info on the 2 screens, save the W2, it'll say "you're refund is Xxx" and then the next screen will have a question (I don't remember) and then the next screen is the question about the non-qualified income.

Good luck.

My w-2 does NOT have box 13 statutory employee checked and I am still getting the same processing error. Can you help?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

As @Ts590 explains the issue is the follow on question after entering an amount for W2 Box 11.  The taxable amount of your form W2 is shown in box 1 of your W2, which goes to line 1 on your form 1040. 

In the follow on question asking, "Did you take money out of your nonqualified pension plan?"  If you answer "Yes" the amount in box 11 will be removed from line 1 on your 1040 and moved to line 8t on schedule 1 which then flows back to line 8 on your 1040.  

The taxable amount did not change and the tax rate does not change.  However, this may cause an e-file rejection.  

The workaround is to answer "No" to the follow on question about taking money out of your non-qualified account.  This will keep everything on line 1 of your 1040.  

Box 11 is an informational box for the employer to report to the Social Security Administration (SSA).  The SSA already has a copy of the form W2 for their purposes.  The amount in box 1 of your W2 is the taxable amount and is correctly taxed whether on line 8 or line 1 of your form 1040.  

So to recap answer "No" in the W2 follow on question to keep the amount in box 1 intact on line 1 of your form 1040.

This worked...thank you.  

I was working in my unemployment income and turns out that the same amount appears  on other income Schedule 1, impacting negative my return. I can no find a way to edit it. any one knows?

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Your unemployment benefits will be reported on a Form 1099-G but those are used for government payments and can be entered in different places in the return, depending on the reason for the payment.

I suggest you delete any Form 1099-Gs in the return and then go back to enter it in the section for unemployment benefits. 

To delete a duplicate form,  you can use Delete Forms

1. In the left menu, select Tax Tools
  2. Select Tools
  3. Select Delete a form
  4. Scroll to the Form 1099G that is duplicated and click Delete on the right
  5. Repeat for any other Form 1099-Gs
  6. Then scroll to the bottom and select Continue with my return

That will delete any duplications and you can now enter the unemployment benefits in the correct section.

1. Return to Wages and Income, on the left
  2. Scroll down to Unemployment and click Show More
  3. Click on Start or Revisit for Unemployment and paid family leave

If you still show duplicate income check the other sections of Wages and Income to see if any say Revisit, rather than Start.

It is weird. I deleted form Schedule 1 form. TurboTax said the form was successfully, but it was still there. then I deleted form 1099 G, and both 1099G and Schedule 1  were deleted. so far so good.

When I reenter benefits from 1099G again Schedule 1 form appeared again too showing the same amount of my 1099G and adding this to my total income. but this amount doesn't appear in the income main screen.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You may attempt to delete Schedule 1 from the Federal 1040 tax return but many income and deduction items are reported on that form and require that the form be immediately re-generated.  This may be what you are seeing.

Unemployment benefits will flow to line 8 of the Federal 1040 tax return through Schedule 1 line 7.

Are you saying that Schedule 1 is reflecting a reversing entry of some kind?  Is this why you are not seeing the unemployment income reported at the Your Income screen?  Are you able to view the Schedule 1?

View Schedule 1 at Tax Tools / Tools / View Tax Summary / Preview my 1040.

@dukeso 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies