Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax CD being discontinued? UNHAPPY CUSTOMER

Have received an email purporting to be from Inuit indicating that TurboTax will no longer be available in CD format starting in 2024.   IS THIS TRUE or is it a scam email?

If this is true, I am a very UNHAPPY CUSTOMER.  My individual situation and personal security emphasis leads me to installing the software from CD and working entirely off-line (after the software updates), printing the tax forms for postal mailing, and REMOVING THE SOFTWARE (and data files that have been transferred to a more secure device) before reconnecting to the internet. 

Is there any information about how the Download software will allow operations without (a) a live connection while the software is being used, and (b) no personal and tax information being uploaded to Intuit??

Turbo Tax has been a great product and I have been recommending it to many others.   If true, this product change is very bad news for me.

rak22

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

@rak22 wrote:

Have received an email purporting to be from Inuit....

The email you received is accurate and true; it is not a scam email; the TurboTax desktop program will no longer be available on a CD.

I cannot answer your other questions except to state that the program on CD, once installed, operates precisely the same as if you downloaded the executable file and installed the program; exactly the same once installed.

It should also be noted that other income tax preparation software providers have also stopped selling their software on CDs or other physical media, most notably H&R Block. So, going forward, you will not find an income tax preparation program that does not require preparing your return entirely online or downloading a file to install on your computer.

After you install the download it is exactly the same as the CD.  You can do it offline.  BUT when do you usually install and when do you print to mail it?  Unless you install later close to April 15 there are weekly updates you need otherwise your return might not be right.  You should at least do an update right before you finish and print.   And when you start do you copy last year's .tax data file back to your computer so it will transfer into the next year?

Couple of things.

1. The CD is mastered from a very early version of the program, it can never prepare a tax return without downloading a significant update which is basically installing the program from a download anyway.  So whatever your situation is, you must already be used to connecting the internet for downloads at least temporarily.  

2. Once you purchase the download, you get an installer file (exe for PC or dmg for Mac).  Separate from actually running the install program, the installer file could be saved offline on a CD or flash drive if you ever need to re-install the program after removing it. 

3. You can download the installer file an unlimited number of times (you have a limited number of license activations, but you have unlimited downloads of the installer).  And I believe the installer is updated throughout the season, so if you re-downloaded the installer file in May, it would be fully updated.  If you save that updated installer file offline, you have something better than the CD, since that updated installer can be used to install a working version that doesn't need additional online access to view, prepare or revise a tax return. 

working entirely off-line (after the software updates), printing the tax forms for postal mailing, and REMOVING THE SOFTWARE (and data files that have been transferred to a more secure device)

this will still be true with the downloaded version. the only difference now is the initial download of the program that comes from the same servers as the patches. 

Thank you tagteam, VolvoGirl, Opus 17, and Mike9241 !

Obviously I have demonstrated my paranoia and panicked early.    This is great news for me and, in my opinion, good news for other customers that will also be able to adapt easily to the new distribution format while maintaining the same software install-use-backup-remove approach.  

Thanks for the detailed descriptions.  If anyone in the product management section is watching perhaps these details could be placed on the website somewhere for reference by others that may be confused about the transition.

Thank You !! 

Happy Again - rak22

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies