Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax asked if I had Marketplace Insurance for 2023, and I accidentally checked "yes"

I am in the process of filling out my return for 2023.  Turbo Tax asked if I had Marketplace Insurance for 2023, and I accidentally checked "yes", but I was mistaken as my insurance did not start until Jan 01, 2024.   However, I can find no way to simply now change my answer within Turbo Tax to "no".   Instead it just keeps defaulting to asking me about form  1095-a.   How do I simply change my answer to "no"??? 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax asked if I had Marketplace Insurance for 2023, and I accidentally checked "yes"

You can visit the Medical section in Deductions and Credits and choose Affordable Care Act (Form 1095A) :

On the screen that says Here's what we have for your 1095-A you will see an option to delete your form 1095-A: 

One you do that, you can revisit the same section and indicate that you don't have a Form 1095-A:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

In the Search box type "1095-a" (without the quotes), then click the link that says "Jump to 1095-a." That will take you back to the screen that asks whether you received a 1095-A, and you can answer No.

Many thanks for your reply, however I need to try and clarify my question.   I believe your answer is the correct  answer but to a slightly different question (I might be wrong), not exactly the question I am asking.

Just prior to the question about receiving a 1095-A, Turbo Tax asked a question "Did you have Marketplace Insurance for 2023?".  I incorrectly answered that question as "yes".    I should have answered that question with "no".  But since I incorrectly answered "yes", now Turbo Tax believes I should have received a 1095-A.  

I did NOT have a Marketplace Insurance plan for 2023, I did NOT have ANY insurance plan for 2023, so I would not have received a 1095-A and furthermore I don't need to contact the Marketplace to try and obtain one.  

The question in the screenshot assumes that I had a Marketplace Insurance Plan..."for your health insurance plan".  But I did not have any health insurance plan.

I cannot find a way to get back to that original question and re-answer that question "No" I did not have a  Marketplace Insurance plan for 2023.   There seems to be no way to get back that question.  I assume that had I answered that (now disappeared) question "no", then it would not be asking me about a 1095-A.  

Am I correct in my assumption?  Or am I missing something?.

Capture.PNG
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Review your entries by following the instructions below:

1. Launch TurboTax and type 1095-A in the search box at the top
  2. Select Jump to 1095-a 
  3. If you see a Form 1095-A, select the trash can to delete
  4.  If you don’t see a Form 1095-A, make sure that you select No when you get to the screen that asks Did you received Form 1095-A.

Also, try deleting the forms your tax return. Follow the steps below.

1. Launch  TurboTax
  2. Select TaxTools in the menu on the left
  3. Select Tools
  4. Select Delete a Form in the pop-up window
  5. Scroll down until you see Form 1095-A and delete
  6. If you see Form 8962, delete that form also
  7. Return to your tax return and review.

Refer to the TurboTax article How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online? for more information.

Thank you for your reply.  I still think I am asking a slightly different question.

I have checked and double checked, there is no Form 1095-A nor Form 8962 to delete.

I answered "No" when I, once again, got to the screen that asks Did you receive Form 1095-A.

But of course now it is telling me to enter my 1095-A before I file or my return will be rejected.  See screenshot.   But I did NOT have a Marketplace Insurance Plan or any other insurance plan in 2023.

Again, I assume had I not mistakenly answered the (now disappeared) question "did you have a Marketplace Insurance Plan for 2023?" as "yes", had I correctly answered that as "no",  then Turbo Tax would not be serving me questions and warnings about being sure to include my 1095-A before I file.

However, surely, even though I answered that question incorrectly and can now find no way to change that answer, surely the IRS knows that I didn't have a Marketplace Plan for 2023.  Surely my incorrect answer of "yes" will not result in my return being rejected???

Capture (1).PNG

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You are correct, your return won't be rejected just because you indicated that you had marketplace insurance in error. If a form 1095-A was not issued to you, then the IRS will not believe you have marketplace insurance so they will not reject your return for not reporting the Form 1095-A information.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@scottchopchop wrote:
I assume had I not mistakenly answered the (now disappeared) question "did you have a Marketplace Insurance Plan for 2023?" as "yes", had I correctly answered that as "no",  then Turbo Tax would not be serving me questions and warnings about being sure to include my 1095-A before I file.

@scottchopchop  Your assumption is not correct. TurboTax displays that warning to everyone, even if you never said that you had Marketplace insurance or received a 1099-A.

Note that the warning says the IRS will reject your tax return "if you have an Affordable Care Act insurance plan and don't enter your 1095-A." The IRS knows whether you actually had ACA insurance, regardless of anything you might have entered in TurboTax.

The IRS is rejecting my 2023 return because I have no 1095 A . I did not have heath insurance in 2023

DawnC
Expert Alumni

There is a workaround for this situation, @4322121224   Make sure you have verified with Healthcare.gov that you have no 1095-A on file.   If your return is still rejected after verification, use the workaround found in this help article.   After you get the reject message, you will be able to certify you do not have the form and will be able to e-file.  

1. Select Federal from the left menu, then Deductions & Credits.
  2. Navigate to Medical and select Show More.
  3. Select Start or Revisit next to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A).
  4. You'll be asked if you received a 1095-A. Select No.
  5. Select the statement indicating you did not receive a 1095-A. By selecting this certification, you will be able to e-file your return and meet the requirements under rejected code F8962-070.
  6. Select File from the left menu and continue through the process to resubmit your return.

If you're not sure if someone in your household purchased insurance through HealthCare.gov or your state's Marketplace, check those websites for an account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies