Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fhfounrbiuygvki1
Returning Member

TT Desktop fields unclear for 1099G

I did itemized deduction last year (for the first time) and got tax refund. This year I got a 1099G from California for 2023. Box2 mentions the refund amount and Box3 mentions the last Tax year... ie 2022. 

While entering TT Desktop, the 1099G sections asks to enter:

1). "Total Refund received in 2023" for which, i think, i should enter Box2 amount (<-- right?)

2). "Total of all your payment and withholding" ---- i dont know what to enter here??

-In the Wages and Comp section on TT desktop, I have already uploaded my W2s (and withholding should have been uploaded too alongwith, i assume) so why is TT not auto-populating it in this section.

-And what does 1099G section to do anything with "withholding" anyway. And what does this question mean by "payment"

What is the question (2) asking for... clearly the answer is not in 1099G since it has only 1 entry (ie... Box2). Please chime in.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

State and local income tax refunds may be taxable in the year you received them if all of the following occurred:

- You got an itemized deduction for state and local income tax in the prior year.
- You received a benefit from taking the deduction. For example, the deduction increased your federal refund or reduced your tax liability.
- You received a state or local refund, even if you didn't receive a 1099-G.

For "Total refund received in 2023", yes, that is the amount in Box 2 of Form 1099-G.

For the entry in the box labeled "Total of all your payments and withholding":

Add up any payments you made to your state or locality, along with any state or locality withholdings from the previous tax year, including:

- Amounts withheld on your W-2, W-2G, and 1099
- Estimated tax payments for 2022 (including any paid in 2023 for 2022 - it's common for the fourth quarterly payment to be made in January)
- Overpayment from 2021 applied toward your 2022 return
- Payments made with an extension of time to file
- Refundable credits

You can find most of this info on your 2022 state tax return. Do not include balance-due payments made with (or after) filing a return.

Enter the total amount of all of these combined here.

See this California FTB webpage and this TurboTax tips article for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fhfounrbiuygvki1
Returning Member

Hello,

When you say "- Amounts withheld on your W-2, W-2G, and 1099"

Question- For W2 of 2023: that will be sum of Box2 and Box17, right?

When you say "Estimated tax payments for 2022 (including any paid in 2023 for 2022 - it's common for the fourth quarterly payment to be made in January)"

Question- Tax has already been paid and the matter has been settled in 2022... what do you mean by 'estimated tax payments for 2022'?  Should i look at my last year's 1040 to determine the 2022 tax payments... if so which box in 1040 will that be exactly?

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

For this purpose, it's just payments made to the state or locality that issued the refund - in this case, California.

• For W-2s, add the amounts in Box 17 only. They would also appear on your 2022 California Form 540, line 71.
  • If you made estimated tax payments for 2022 for California, add those as well. They would be shown on your 2022 California Form 540, line 72.
  • If you had withholding taken from the proceeds of a real estate sale in 2022, they would appear on Form 540, line 73.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies