Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to figure out if my boyfriend can claim me as a dependent

• so I'm trying to figure out if my boyfriend can claim me on his taxes, we have lived together over a year , I am still legally married to my ex. I have two children with my boyfriend none with my ex. My ex and I have not lived together for over 2 years. My boyfriend solely supports me and our kids. 
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

For 2024 he can claim you if you had a gross income less than $5,050. He can file as Head of Household if otherwise qualified. 

Ive had 0 income of my own , thank you !

Here are the rules for 2023.  They haven’t been updated for 2024 yet.  Are you doing a 2023 return or asking about next year 2024?  

See IRS Publication 501 there is a table and rules starting on page 11.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Who can I claim as a dependent?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/00/267...

For 2024, your boyfriend can claim you assuming you live together the entire year, and your taxable income is less than $5050.  You would not be required to file a return if your income is that low, but if you did for some reason, you must check the box on your return that says "someone else can claim me as a dependent" and you can't claim any deductions, credits, or dependents.  Your spouse (if you are still married as of 12/31/24) should not attempt to file as married filing jointly, since I assume you would not give permission for that.

If your boyfriend is the biological father of your 2 children, he can claim the children as dependents, even if you break up and move out, because the children lived in his home for more than half the year.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies