Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

valaaron
Returning Member

Trouble removing form 2555

Hello, I erroneously entered that I had income from a "foreign or US-Owned Territory" when I first started my return. After confirming that wasn't correct for my situation, I went back to my information and removed that. However, when I try to file, TurboTax informs me that there is something that needs reviewed - which is form 2555 for Foreign Income. I do not need this form, but I'm wondering if TurboTax automatically added it when I first clicked on a "Foreign or US-Owned Territory" and is unable to automatically remove this form now that I have removed that declaration. 

Is there a way to bypass this or remove the form? I have tried to follow instructions to do delete it, but the form does not show up on my list of forms for deletion. I've also tried to follow the instructions to declare I don't need form 2555, but TurboTax just takes me to a page that says I need to upgrade from the Free Version in order to proceed (seems silly to pay $59, just to click something and say I didn't make any foreign money). 

So, my options seem to be: 1) pay for the upgrade and hope that helps; 2) enter "$0" in the one field that can be edited on form 2555. That field now shows my full income and is an addition field, so a $0 sum would be incorrect; or 3) blank out my data and start from scratch (please no!). 

Any other options??? 

Thank you! 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you need to delete the form that your erroneous entry created.  You can do this in TurboTax Online by following these steps:

1. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen.
  2. Click on Delete a Form
  3. Scroll down to your Form 2555 and click Delete.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
valaaron
Returning Member

Hi @AliciaP1,

Unfortunately, the form 2555 does not show up on my list when I attempt to delete. It appears that my only options are to upgrade in order to declare I did not have foreign income or to reset my data and start over. 

Hopefully TurboTax can use me as an example here and fix this for anyone who may have the same issue in the future. 

Thank you again for your answer! 

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Try this before throwing in the towel:

1. Open your return
  2. Search for foreign income in the magnifying glass box in the upper right corner, then select the Jump to foreign income link in the search results
  3. On the Did You Make Any Money Outside the United States? screen, select the checkbox next to No, and select Continue
  4. Answer any questions that generate in a manner that wouldn’t indicate foreign income
valaaron
Returning Member

Thank you for the reply @JohnW152

I had also tried this, but as soon as I click to go to the Foreign Income section, TurboTax automatically redirects me to a screen that tells me I cannot complete this action without upgrading to the paid version. I appears that TurboTax has this portion behind the paywall. I attempted a couple different ways to get to the Foreign Income section and it always redirects me to the upgrade prompt, then will not allow me to do anything if I select to decline. 

I ended up clearing my data and starting over. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies