Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SD1
Level 2

Travel Blogger with No Income - Can I write off business expenses?

My wife and I started a travel blog in 2021. While we spent a lot of money in equipment, advertising and travel, we have not made a very nominal income (~$1k). It generally takes anyways from 2-4 years to have any sizeable income from what we read, assuming and hoping the business picks up.

With that said, given that my expenses are roughly $25-30k, should I be submitting any business expenses if I have a very low income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Travel Blogger with No Income - Can I write off business expenses?

You are allowed to deduct any ordinary and necessary business expenses. As long as you have receipts you should be good.

Some of your expenses may not be deductible in full in 2021. For example some equipment and licenses may have to be depreciated, i.e. written off over several years.

The IRS wants you to make a profit in three of every five years on a rolling basis, otherwise they can classify your business as a hobby and disallow losses. Some businesses have losses for longer periods. If audited, you would have to show you are operating in a professional manner and are trying to make a profit.

A business loss can be applied against other income. If your total income is negative you may have a net operating loss that can be carried to next year.

Business or Hobby? Answer Has Implications for Deductions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies