Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Transmission Error - No Solution so far.

I have been trying for about a month to transmit my tax forms. I get the same two errors each time (listed below). 
Customer service has been able to provide new possible reasons why it wasn't happening each time, and each time the answer has been wrong. 

1. They said it must be forms that were not updated at the time I tried initially and to wait until April first.

2. They said the forms needed more time to update. 

3. They said the forms were updated but there was something wrong with one of the entries. -- Fixed the specified entry.

4. They said to pay for and transmit through the desktop version -- a slightly different error as seen below but functionally no different and now having already paid for it. 

5. They said I needed IP PIN. -- found it for wife and I and still same result

6. Use a different computer/network/browser. -- All the same result

7. They said to print it. -- it won't print and freezes/errors out when asking for a print preview

None of these things work. It's the weekend before the deadline and the complete file has been ready since Mid March. Nothing on the 'expert review' raises any errors. This has been a exercise in frustration. I've spent well over 40 hours on this process start to almost finish.

Does ANYONE have any ideas what to do next? Tech support on chat and calls have just been a steady stream of dead ends. Does the fact that I can't even get the program to give me a print preview have something to do with this? I'm able to download a turbotax specific data set from the online to the desktop version, but the moment I try and print the 2021 return so I can just mail it in, the desktop version crashes or the online version log

Online error text:

Transmission Trouble
We're having trouble detecting your transmission. Let's troubleshoot.
First, wait five minutes and then select Check Status below. If your status is Filed, your transmission was successful, and you can continue.
If your status shows no returns were transmitted, please try transmitting again. Continue through the screens to confirm your e-file choices and select the Transmit button.
If you get the same "Transmission Trouble" message, try coming back in an hour or two to transmit again.

Desktop Error Text:

Your Transmission Didn’t Go Through

Turbotax was unable to send your return to the Intuit Electronic Filing Center for the following reason:

cancelled

Looks like we’ve had a technical hiccup.

Try e-filing again. If that doesn’t work, you can print your return and file by mail.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I had to delete the program and reinstall it. It works perfectly now. You can save your return as a PDF and then delete the program. TT will go into your computer's data base and pull the input information out. Hope this helps!

I came across a similar issue. I nailed it down to the file extension ".tax2021" If you are in Windows 10 or 11, the security system triggers a block when either trying to print the file or save it. I managed to save the file if I saved to the desktop, but if I tried to save the file to the default folder it said the file did not exist. As far as I can tell Turbotax has built is some kind of detection of a cloud based file back up such as Onedrive which it deems as unsafe. Also the PDF view/print would not work either. Shoots up an error message.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but unfortunately it still won't transmit or let me even print (which is frankly worse at this point). I haven't had a problem for the past 7 years and all of sudden this year, it's been a month long nightmare.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Help Article here for this specific Transmission Trouble/Trouble Printing experience. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What did you end up doing? I'm in the same situation, same error, can't print... tried everything suggested and it's now past deadline. I don't have the software, just trying to submit it online.

I'm wondering if it's all the transactions from crypto/stocks, I had a hard time getting one of them imported because of how much data was in there.

Update, I tried removing my crypto transactions and seeing if it would at least let me review/print right before it efiles and this time it worked. So it seems I was right, due to the large amount of data (3000+ transactions) TurboTax can't handle it because as soon as I added it back I get the same errors. This leads me to believe this is the reason for the Transmission error. 

Common Turbo tax! 

Btw, just found this after my troubleshooting. Calling them now in hopes to find a solution, maybe desktop will work for my situation but what's odd is they say the Desktop app supports 2000 transactions which if true will still be the same issue then? Guess I'll find out soon! 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investment-income/help/how-do-i-file-my-return-when-i-see-the-tran...

RetITTeng

You did not mention what version of the program you are using.  If it is online, I would try using another browser.  I use the download now because it gives access to forms while you are still entering data.  That way I can review and correct.  If you are using download, I would recommend always running in administrator mode as I have found the software to be very buggy if you don't.  This does not solve all problems, but it solves most for me.  To run in administrator mode right click  the turbotax icon in the windows menu, then select "More" then select "run as administrator" (win10).

Thanks for the help, this is online but will most likely be trying the desktop software for Mac to see if it will handle it.

Supposably TurboTax should be able to handle 10,000 individual transactions per brokerage account:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-enter-a-large-number-of-stock-tra...

It suggests that I can enter the summary info instead of each individual transaction so I'm going to look into this next as well.

Edit:

Going the summarized route by using a TurboTax supported affiliate "CryptoTrader" aka "CoinLedger":

http://cryptotrader.tax?fpr=o4466 using discount CRYPTOTAX10 to lessen the sting of having to pay another software :( but it at least sorts everything out. The downside is you'll still have to mail out one form that will show the IRS all the transactions.

If you go this route, they have some nice write-ups to guide you step by step:

https://cryptotrader.tax/blog/how-to-file-your-cryptocurrency-taxes-with-turbotax

It didn't help in my particular situation but may help for someone else. 

So on my most recent call, I was finally pointed to the fact that I had both crypto and stock trades. These trades numbered in the thousands. As such, instead of filing the trades individually, I instead put in a summary of the total short term gains and short term losses, to establish a capital gains balance. I removed all the individual transactions and then submitted. Upon the first attempt at submission there was the same old error again, but shortly thereafter, the screen changed to show that the taxes had been filed. 

The crux of why it was unable to print preview or submit, is the sheer number of transactions. The software, both desktop and online are unable to handle over 2000 transactions. By submitting a summary of the transactions instead and keeping my transactions readily available to send on request, I was able to finish submitting online. Hope that helps.

20 minutes from the deadline and I am having the same issue (can't efile). I spent 2 hours with TurboTax on the phone, but nothing work. Did anyone figure out a fix?

Thanks!

Got the same transmission error!

I read all messages there carefully and figured out that the error was due to a large number of crypto transactions from Betterment (~2600 transactions). Actually, TurboTax online shows summary and number of transactions for each imported form. 

I followed "Summary" approach - I deleted the original form and then added manually a single transaction which I called "Mix of crypto assets" with aggregated proceeds and cost basis. After that it worked!

OldPinBoy
Returning Member

Had the same problem for several years. No helpful answers from Turbo or chat rooms.  Finally, I voiced my frustration to an Office Max sales associate about my issues with Turbo Tax and e-filing and always getting a transmission error.  He smiled and asked about the size of my file. My file was 26 pages. He immediately told me that my file was too large and that apparently Turbo efile system has a cut off limit. Large files always receive a transmission error. I just chop down another tree, print an extra copy and mail it. I know this to be true because I do other family members, their relatively simple and basic forms are sent instantly and they receive their refunds in short order. Hope this helps.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies