turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Transferring money to spouse taxed?? Options are "Gift" or "Non gift"

My spouse and I purchased a home a few months ago, she paid for the full down payment at the time, and now I want to transfer my half back to her to pay her back. Amount is $66,000. My bank is asking me if this should be lodged as "Gift" or "Non-gift". I am unsure what it should be considered.  Even though our bank accounts are separate as they are our individual bank accounts that we each had before marriage, now that we are legally married, my money is her money and her money is my money. So to me it's just an account transfer since legally it's all the same in the end. But technically speaking, they are separate individual accounts. What is the correct way for me to transfer the $66k to her so that it doesn't get wrongly taxed? We're both US citizens

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Transferring money to spouse taxed?? Options are "Gift" or "Non gift"

Funds transferred between spouses are not classified as a "Gift' or Non gift".  The funds are not reported on any type of tax form.  

The bank should not be involved to even ask about 'Gifts' or not.  You write a check from your account and your spouse deposits the check in their account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies