Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgm1226

Transfer Prior year Returns to Windows 10

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax for Windows personal CD/Download desktop software will transfer last year's tax data file (.tax2018 file) or PDF from the 2018 TurboTax desktop or online software. You can use the link provided below for assistance with how to do the transfer:

Transfer Prior Year Return to Windows 10

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Link doesn't work.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you trying to upload your ".tax2018" file? If so, are you getting an error? What version of TurboTax are you using?

RitaVoll

Site can't be reached.

@TiffanyL 

The link to Transfer Prior Year Return to Windows 10    Does not work.

For many years, I have completed my TurboTax using a Windows 7 computer. I installed TurboTax Premier for tax year 2019 on my Windows 10 computer as recommended. Typically, TuboTax pulls the previous year's data file (NOT PDF). So I also installed TurboTax premier for 2018 onto the Windows 10 computer as well. And then I brought over the 2018 data file. Will the 2019 Premier Software be able to read and pull the data from 2018 to begin my 2019 taxes using the Windows 10 computer/install, and the 2018 Windows 7 data file?   The Reason I Ask This Is This - when I opened the 2018 Program, and then tried to open the 2018 data file, I receive a error 305, and then it said something like your file has been downloaded. I never used the online TT. I have always used the CD install. For those of us that have in previous years used Windows 7, and now this year we have to use Windows 10, can we complete our 2019 taxes by bringing over to the Windows 10 computer, the TurboTax data file for 2018 from our Windows 7 computer? Will the Windows 10 program for 2019, see and import the Windows 7 2018 data as an import information from previous years? Turbo Tax did not make this situation easy. I tried TurboTax support, but they had no real idea. Anyone else face this issue yet?   Thanks

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Here's how to securely move your tax files from prior year to a Windows 10 computer while minimizing the chances of data corruption:  

1. Make sure your new computer has TurboTax installed on it. 

2. Connect a thumb drive or other portable device to your old computer. 

3. Copy or move your tax data file to the device. (We recommend copying instead of dragging and dropping.) 

4. After copying, disconnect or eject the portable device and connect it to your new computer. 

5. Browse to the portable device, select your tax return file, drag it to your desktop (or other easy-to-find location), then release the mouse key and copy (instead of moving) the file. 

6. After copying, open TurboTax, browse to where you copied your tax file and open it to make sure it didn't get corrupted. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies